cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid Question but who knows the answer?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Stupid Question but who knows the answer?

why does where you live (state/region) tend to do with which CBR will be pulled by lenders? a fico score is a fico score. CBs dont favor people in one state over another so, why does this matter to lenders?
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

All FICO scores are not created equal

I believe each CR uses their own algorithm for determining a credit score.  The original calculation created by Fair Issac is the basis for each CR's FICO score, but some weighting is differnt, resulting in small variations in scores.  I've never heard of a specific version being used based upon locale though. 
Message 2 of 25
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: All FICO scores are not created equal

This is not a stupid question! As for the answer, I seriously doubt anyone here knows for sure.
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stupid Question but who knows the answer?

I have no idea...I do know that for me, the only time TU was pulled was for an auto and mortgage loan. All CC were EQ or EX.
Message 4 of 25
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

This is a really good question!  And... I have absolutely noooo clue!

I wonder if they bid on contracts with the CRAs by territory... and go with the lowest bid.

Or if they continue to pull particular CBRs from the same CRA because it's covered that area for so long that they want to pull the one they think will give them the most info in 1 shot.  Vicious circle sort of thing.

I... have no clue. Smiley Happy

I'd love to know what the real reason is.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 5 of 25
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

yeah, throughout my years of credit history trans union has always been used the most, then experian, then equifax.

my tu credit report right now has 12 inquiries whereas my eq has 2. it is ridiculous!
Message 6 of 25
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

For me it is EQ (Chase, CU, Toyota) followed by TU (only Juniper) and EX (only Amex).

But I don't apply for much credit  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

definitely not a stupid question--I am sure you are not the only one that feels that way--I guess its there was for people not to beat the system b/ c if we all knew which bureau who was going to pull--we would work on that one score and only apply for credit through that score and build the other scores but by it reporting to all 3 bureaus--I agree with you 100 percent it sucks!!!  usually the score mostly pulled where you live is the lowest I know thats the case for me
Message 8 of 25
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

actually i have been lucky in that my highest score is always tu regardless of how frequently it is pulled. the inquiries seem to have very little effect.
Message 9 of 25
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

Definitely not stupid question ,and i never ever thought about it . 
At the same time does anyone knows why TRANS UNION score goes up to 950  not like EXPERIAN or EQUIFAX  goes up to 850 ??  Smiley Surprised
Thank you so much for bringing this question ,and who knows maybe someone has an answer for all of us .   Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.