Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subprime/Prime Mortgage Loans

tag
jandj
New Contributor

Subprime/Prime Mortgage Loans

Does anyone have guidelines on what your credit score needs to be in order to get a prime loan?  My husband and I would like to buy a house in the next 3-4 months....Any advice is appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Subprime/Prime Mortgage Loans

Hmm that's a great question, especially after the subprime meltdown in the past couple of years.   My advice would be is, print out copies of all three of your credit reports plus scores, Your FICO scores.   I would then set up an appointment with a Prime Mortgage Lender, preferrably your bank .  Having your credit reports with you will help since he won't pull a hard inquiry on your reports.   And just talk to the person and have them tell you what you need to do or hopefully don't need to do.    You also have to remember,  they go way beyond your credit score, so make sure everything is up to date, including all your utilities bills, your rent etc.   They look at everything, not just your score.   Lowering your debt to Income ratio will be a huge factor, so I would look at getting your credit cards down as low as you can.    But the best advice is usually right from the horses mouth.   So I would go to your bank and have them look at everything.  
Message 2 of 4
jandj
New Contributor

Thanks so much!  Yeah, we've been in a mad dash to pay off credit cards in the past 6 months.  So far, I've paid off about $4000 and by the end of July we should only have about $1000 in CC debt between the 2 of us.  I'll set up an appointment with our bank since we both have recent copies of our credit reports.  I am disputing a few things but hopefully this can at least get the ball rolling!  I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Message 3 of 4
girlie
Regular Contributor

from everything i've read i believe sub prime is considered anything below 620.   however, if you want competitive rates you should really be in the 660 plus range.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.