Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success Stories and Encouragement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Success Stories and Encouragement

You have all given me some hope.  I have several cards that have been charged off.  I worked out a payment plan with them and now they are paid off.  How do I go about getting them off my report?  Also, what are good will letters and pay off for deletes
Message 71 of 280
My_dog_FICO
Regular Contributor

jju
  I wish you would have come to us sooner.  If you still owed balances, you could try what we call a PFD - Pay For Delete.  You pay the settlement and the delete the entry from your CR.

Now your only course of action is to send GWs - Goodwill letters.  Basically it's a humbling plea for mercy to anyone who will listen and hope that they take pitty enough to report to the CRAs a clean record. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Read all the stickies - they will help you IMMENSLEY!
11/14/07 TU 567 - EQ 561 - EX 577
11/29/07 TU ??? - EQ 573 - EX ???
12/10/07 TU ??? - EQ 579 - EX ??? - 60% util - OOPS!
Message 72 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my. Does Nemblett pay for ANYTHING? Is there a moral compass at all that says that because this person charged all of this debt up, it's their responsibility to, you know, pay it off? Walking away from bills? Walking away from cards when you kept the items bought? Dishonest. Wrong. Immoral. Deceitful. How does this person sleep? What's more: all they're worried about is-- their FICO score? This behavior is practically sociopathic. There is no sense of right and wrong. How about paying off the old debt without settling because I'm not a slug of a human being sucking the system dry because I'm so dishonorable I need a FICO score to determine my self worth? How about getting a job and actually paying for what you purchase? Then you don't have to worry about a FICO score. Someone please tell me this is a joke. Does anyone see anything wrong with this behavior? Hard working people like myself get messed over because of people like these. I hope this person is arrested for fraud. Spread sheets. Please. Get a JOB.
Message 73 of 280
demi
Established Contributor

Reeltime-

I completely agree with you....some of the stories on this site do make me cringe, as you can see in some of my posts on this topic I felt very strong I owed money to people, and they deserved it.  I posted something similar in another thread (someone bragging about a credit card) and someone brought up the purpose of this forum is to know your rights, and that there are a lot of illegal and disreputable collection agencies and tactics out there.  I have learned a lot from these forums, and there are things I am going to try (for example, one of my paid off bills shows me 90 days late 25 times, even though I was paying thru a debt management plan on time every month) to correct and clean up my accounts.  But, I never plan on getting into this mess again, and some of the posters do scare me.....Its does seem to be about a number, and not responsibility.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 74 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our financial goals shouldn't be how high our FICO score rises. It's a warped sense of wealth.

Wealth is determined by net worth: What you own (your stuff plus your savings) LESS what you owe (total of your debt).

Your FICO score determines how much you can BORROW. How much DEBT you can carry. What your interest rate will be on a LOAN. In other words, it's about how low you can make your net worth sink. Focusing on net worth will have you building real wealth, real assets, instead of how much you can borrow.

Our goals should be to get out of debt. Get out away from living on credit. We should pay our bills on time. We should strive to do what's right, and pay for the things we purchase.

We should be building an emergency fund for a rainy day, because it WILL rain someday. Something really bad will happen to every one of us in the next ten years. Having actual MONEY put aside, will keep you from winding up deep in debt, and wondering how we'll make the next payment.

We should drive paid for cars, because the average car payment is over $300 dollars. I'll show you what you can do with a few hundred dollars a month in a minute.

Our goals should include retiring with dignity. Not relying on a Social Security system that's going broke.

We should strive to leave money for our children, so they will have it easier.

Here's an absolute shocker: If you put $200 dollars a month into an index fund from age 28 to 68, that's most people's CELL PHONE bill, you would retire with:

$2,352,954.50.

You'd be a millionaire twice over! Tell me how much your FICO matters if you'd have $2 Million dollars in the bank? If I'm HALF wrong, you're still a millionaire. Tell me how much your "frequent flier miles" are "saving you money." How your Discover points are going to make you rich. Many people pay $200 dollars in interest every month.

FICO matters to get a loan for a mortgage. It matters in some interview situations. But it shouldn't rule our lives. We should be mindful of our FICO score, but not slaves to it, because it's a negative influence on net worth.

Message Edited by reeltime on 11-27-2007 10:03 PM
Message 75 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reeltime~

Many index funds rely on a computer model with little or no human input in the decision as to which securities to purchase and is therefore a form of passive management.

This is a positive thread please don't turn it into something negative...
Message 76 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very positive.

I'm positive that if you focus your financial intensity on maximizing your FICO score instead of maximizing your net worth, you will be broke.

I'm positive that it's wrong to not pay for things that you purchase.

I'm positive that if you don't save for retirement today, you'll be working for a long, long time.

I'm positive that everyone will have a significant negative financial event in the next ten years, and I'm positive that the best way to be ready for that event is to save cash today in an emergency fund.

I'm positive the S & P 500 index has averaged over 12% growth since 1975. I'm also positive about how its correlating index funds work.

I'm also positive that if you challenge the credit bureau to remove a negative mark on your credit that you know to be true, it is called criminal fraud.

And I'm positive that the OP doesn't have much of a conscience. If they did, they wouldn't run from bills they honestly owed. The rest of us get billed when someone misbehaves.

Oh, and I'm positive my credit score is 866, and I'm positive it's that high because I've foolishly spent too much on credit cards in my past, and I'm positive I haven't touched a credit card in over three years.

Some advice from an older guy, who's turned it around in a positive way, after years of charging a lot of money ($170,000 dollars) on credit cards. That's a real success story.

Message Edited by reeltime on 11-29-2007 12:10 PM
Message 77 of 280
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

reeltime wrote:
Oh, and I'm positive my credit score is 866, and I'm positive it's that high because I've foolishly spent too much on credit cards in my past, and I'm positive I haven't touched a credit card in over three years.

Cool - a new FICO record.  Smiley Very Happy

Reeltime - don't confuse getting free money from CCCs with debt.

And don't confuse PIF every month with debt.

And don't confuse booking a hotel room with a credit card and paying with cash with bebt.

And don't confuse renting a car with a CC and paying with cash with debt.

Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 78 of 280
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and I'm positive my credit score is 866...
That is a record.

This is probably the wrong place to post this question, but does anyone know if you can get high scores (750-850) with CCs you haven't used in three years? Is there a negative notation placed by any one CRA for not using cards?
Message 79 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK Realtime I get the point...Smiley Very Happy
Can I get some pointers....Woman Wink
Message 80 of 280
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.