cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success Stories and Encouragement

tag
My_dog_FICO
Regular Contributor

Re: Success Stories and Encouragement - Good Will Letters Do Work!

Good Will Letters Do Work! I send a GW to MAF Collections for a debt that PIF back in 2003. They did a quick and simple reply that they will be deleting from all three credit reporting bureaus. I'm so stoked. This is for the DH's CRs. He's down at a 537. I'm guessing this might bring him up to a 550. I'll post again once it gets deleted.

Message Edited by My_dog_FICO on 12-06-2007 03:02 PM
11/14/07 TU 567 - EQ 561 - EX 577
11/29/07 TU ??? - EQ 573 - EX ???
12/10/07 TU ??? - EQ 579 - EX ??? - 60% util - OOPS!
Message 101 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Success Stories and Encouragement

pattycake wrote:
I can't seem to get my credit score to break 670 - one year ago, it was at 615. I have paid my cc's faithfully, either in full, or on time, and still, it only went up to 668, then back down to 663 on 11/28/07. I just got a Chase MC with at $10k line of credit (I travel for business, this will be very helpful, since I have to charge my expenses, then wait forever for reimbursement). I keep reading all these success stories about jumping 100+ points in a matter of months...is that for real, or just bogus? Seems awfully weird that someone with a score in the 400's could raise their score to the 600's so fast. I settled on a few cc accounts back in 2003, and was only late on a cc a couple of years ago, since their online payment center malfunctioned (GEMB - Mervyns) and didn't take the payments I kept trying to make. Tips? Help? I want to buy a home very soon, and need to bring that score up to 700+ to get an affordable loan.

pattycake...................yes it can happen.......but I am beginning to really wonder about the fico scoring system! I say that because I recently got back from a 2 week vacation, put about $4,000 on a credit card with a 5,000 limit (90% util) and I got a score alert yesterday that my score jumped 30 points!!! I paid all but 500.00 on my credit card today, so it has not even been updated on my credit report!! Still shows 4,000 balance!! AND......I have 24 inquiries (got a little application happy!)  for this year yet my score keeps on going up!! Knock on wood....I will say my prayers tonight, and yes, my prayers will include gratitude to  all 3 credit bureaus because they have been so good to me this year!! Just food for thought that the whole fico system has a mind of its own!
Message 102 of 280
My_dog_FICO
Regular Contributor

Flygirl

Did some other baddie fall off your report, or go past a mile marker (like 2 years)?

Did you get re-bucketted into a lower bucket, that now you're actually in the top % of?

Did all those apps age or did some of them give you more TL/CLIs so your overal util came down from the previous reporting week?

Lots of variables to choose from.  It doesn't make sense to us since we don't know the full magical equation, but it's done by a computer so there is some massive formula that takes everything into account.
11/14/07 TU 567 - EQ 561 - EX 577
11/29/07 TU ??? - EQ 573 - EX ???
12/10/07 TU ??? - EQ 579 - EX ??? - 60% util - OOPS!
Message 103 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I am a new poster. I recently found this forum and have been reading all that I can to learn about how to repair my credit and increase my FICO score.

I am in relatively good shape as far as the amount of debt that I currently possess (about $2,500 + defaulted student loan) because most of my bad credit history happened long ago and it has nearly all dropped off of my credit reports. Like Tuscani posted at the start of this thread, I thought my credit was beyond help and I didn't know there was anything I could do to fix it.

But recently I have started to really want to buy my own home. So, I did some surfing and found myFICO. There is a ton of great info here!

My biggest problem is that I do have a student loan in default. Thankfully it is quite small, so paying it off won't take long compared to others with thousands of dollars worth of loans. I am going to try to rehabilitate the loan. I understand that if I take this route that that default can come off my CR. I want to try this route before PIF.

My current FICO score, according to EX, is 567 (it was 552 in August). I am actually feeling a little good about being as high as that considering my history and where I could be starting out at in my credit repair journey.

Message Edited by FICOtic on 12-07-2007 08:55 PM

Message Edited by FICOtic on 12-07-2007 09:39 PM
Message 104 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

9 on time payments is all it takes to get it out of default- the lates stay.

You DEFINITELY want to get it out of default before PIF.

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello. I am a new poster. I recently found this forum and have been reading all that I can to learn about how to repair my credit and increase my FICO score.

I am in relatively good shape as far as the amount of debt that I currently possess (about $2,500 + defaulted student loan) because most of my bad credit history happened long ago and it has nearly all dropped off of my credit reports. Like Tuscani posted at the start of this thread, I thought my credit was beyond help and I didn't know there was anything I could do to fix it.

But recently I have started to really want to buy my own home. So, I did some surfing and found myFICO. There is a ton of great info here!

My biggest problem is that I do have a student loan in default. Thankfully it is quite small, so paying it off won't take long compared to others with thousands of dollars worth of loans. I am going to try to rehabilitate the loan. I understand that if I take this route that that default can come off my CR. I want to try this route before PIF.

My current FICO score, according to EX, is 567 (it was 552 in August). I am actually feeling a little good about being as high as that considering my history and where I could be starting out at in my credit repair journey.

Message Edited by FICOtic on 12-07-2007 08:55 PM

Message Edited by FICOtic on 12-07-2007 09:39 PM

Message 105 of 280
pattycake
Established Contributor

Keep up the good work, everyone! A year ago, my TU was in the 500's. I've been trying like crazy to get a CA off my report, but the CA is unresponsive, and TU keeps saying the account has been verified. I'm not giving up, though!!!
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 106 of 280
Trying_to_climb
Valued Member

Thank you for your message, congratulations.  I just subscribed to myfico, but actually this is my second time around.  My current scores are low.  Equifax (which I believe is the middle score) is currently at 627.  It's the lowest I've ever been.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, there are no errors in my credit reports that I need to correct so that my credit score could go up as fast as it has for some. 

The reports on all my accounts are "paid as agreed" so no problem there either.  My problem is that I was unemployed for one year so I took out a $50,000 equity line.  An equity line reports as revolving credit and so my ratios show up as being very high.  I can't ask for an increase in my equity line, so to change the ratios, because again my debt to income ratios are high.  I can't even attempt to refinance, to roll in that equity line because my credit scores are currently so low.  I feel stuck in a rut and I'm kicking myself.  These scores really put me in the trash.

The worst part is that the equity line is interest only so there's no hope in the near future that the balance will go down.  I put myself in this situation.  I can't afford to send anymore to the equity line as I currently pay $688.00 in credit cards alone.   (this includes the $350.00 for the equity line and $221.00 for a credit card I used to pay off a student loan...it was a good rate 4.9%)

Any suggestions?  Or yes I just need to wait for a couple of more years.  I don't see how my scores will go up with all that utilization in my credit.  Help? 

Starting Score (1/26/10): EQ:620 TU:659 (2/17/10) Exp: 700 (2/18/10)
Current Score(6/02/10): EQ:658
Goal Score(12/31/10): EQ:670

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 107 of 280
l-bug
Established Member

I pulled my FICO scores 11/29/07. EX 732   EQ 666   TU 725

I disputed a 30-day late (which was a loan closing repeatedly delayed causing the payoff to be late in June 2002) and also an inquiry made when I opened a savings account in May 2007.  Both were removed. I pulled another EQ FICO on 12/10/07 and WAHLAH....EQ shot up to 693! Twenty-seven points in 11 days--gotta love that!

I don't know if the other scores increased (in my experience, most banks, etc., pull EQ), but all three CRAs showed the 30-day late.  Only EQ had the inquiry.

I actually filed the 30-day late dispute through EX, so I know there is some updating between the CRAs.

Now NO lates, NO inquiries, 14 yr history --several old good accounts dropped off Smiley Sad  --the 43% CU is the only thing holding me down now.  And that is currently going down at the rate of 1.5% per month ($272 in balance reduction=1% CU reduction, and I am paying principal balances down at a tune of $400 per month).

Tavares wrote:

Below are my EQ Fico Scores over time.

9/13/2007 666  <--- Whats with this number?

Tavares, I'm with you on "What's with this number?". My EQ stagnated several months there.
Message 108 of 280
Minnie
Contributor

How did you get public record to go away? I am starting at 549 with very recent lates including a state tax lien that was, for real, filed in error -- it even says that on the release....Thanks for any all help, and congrats on success!!
Message 109 of 280
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Success Stories and Encouragement - Good Will Letters Do Work!

After PIF a collection I'd been paying monthly on terms, the OC was being a bit obstinate in updating their CR reporting to show a $0 balance. Disputed with the CRAs and sent a letter via regular mail to the OC. They continued to confirm an outstanding balance.

Sent a letter CMRRR, stated I had already disputed with the CRAs and I was confused as to why they were confirming a balance owed. That seems to have gotten their attention as they started updating with a $0 balance. If they know the FCRA laws, then they know once I have confirmation from the CRAs that it's been disputed, if they don't update and do right then they are on the hook, legally, for a FCRA violation.

Still showing settled for less than the full amount, even though it wasn't. Time for another round of faxed disputes.
Message 110 of 280
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.