Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions? Credit Score Increase

tag
gabledodge

Suggestions? Credit Score Increase

Hello,

I logged in today to my Capital One credit card portal and noticed a new feature, the Credit Tracker, which includes pretty solid information. It even allows you to tinker with certain things and get a rough, very rough, estimate of your credit score. Anyway, this isn't a plug for Capital One, but I'm super pumped. 

Now that I have this application, I'm thinking it may be time to try and bump my score up a little bit. According to the app, my TransUnion credit score is 769, my utilization is 16 percent (which I'm pretty sure is wrong, since I just paid off our AMEX and only have a total $300.12 outstanding balance on any/all of my credit cards) , and my avaliable credit is approximately $20,000 dollars.

I have a few credit cards: AMEX $7,500; Barclays MY NFL $7,500; Commerce Bank $6,500; and Capital One $2,750. 

According to the Credit Tracker app, I can "theoretically increase" my credit score if I increase my avaliable credit.

Good idea? How much of a swing?

Thank you for your help; I'm twenty-five and likely going to purchase a home in three years following graduation.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate all that you do here. 

-K. 

AMEX BCE ($7,480); Barclays MY NFL ($7,500); Commerce Bank ($6,500); Capital One ($2,750); Discover IT ($4,500)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: Suggestions? Credit Score Increase

Hi gabledodge,

The Capital One Credit Tracker, as with many other non-FICO score monitoring options, is not precise or accurate. Smiley Happy It's what's called a FAKO score, or "educational" score. From the help page:

Your free Credit Tracker score from TransUnion is a good reference point for your current credit standing. This informational/educational score is not used for credit or lending decisions.

Anything that doesn't say FICO is best used for relative comparisons (some people here will tell you they're useless... I'd say they're just not representative of what creditors/lendors see). You can track your own credit trends and guestimate the effect of changes, but don't expect it to match reality exactly. Smiley Happy 

That being said, my score from C1's tracker is only two points lower than an actual FICO notice I got about 3 weeks earlier. By comparison, an Equifax 3-bureau report was 40-60 points lower on all three FAKO scores vs the real ones. And I had two EX FICO scores reported one day apart with a nearly 20 point difference. 

To be completely honest, your 760+ FAKO score is probably pretty good, and if your genuine FICO score is there as well, you probably don't have to worry much. 16% reported util wouldn't be bad and your post-payoff 1.5% util will probably update within a month. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 2 of 6
gabledodge

The customer service rep. mislead me. I called and asked if the score was a "true" score or hypothesis. Anyway, my wife and I plan to take an anniversary trip within the next month, and I know we'll use the CC's for approx. $5,000 dollars worth of travel expenses, and then immediately pay them off. Can you suggest a good credit card for possible airline tickets, rewards, and etc. Do you think adding a new credit card will increase my score within two years?

-K. 

AMEX BCE ($7,480); Barclays MY NFL ($7,500); Commerce Bank ($6,500); Capital One ($2,750); Discover IT ($4,500)
Message 3 of 6
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@gabledodge wrote:

The customer service rep. mislead me. I called and asked if the score was a "true" score or hypothesis. Anyway, my wife and I plan to take an anniversary trip within the next month, and I know we'll use the CC's for approx. $5,000 dollars worth of travel expenses, and then immediately pay them off. Can you suggest a good credit card for possible airline tickets, rewards, and etc. Do you think adding a new credit card will increase my score within two years?

-K. 

There's no way to recommend what the best travel card would be for you and your family's travel needs. It depends on what airlines hubs youre close to, what type of trip you want to take, what kinds of hotels you're looking into, whether you're into business/coach travel, domestic/international, etc. Current top travel cards include chase CSP + freedom combo for the flexibility it offers with its many travel partners, Amex MR points for another group of travel partners, or just pick the airline that you want to fly and earn miles on and get a branded card for them. There's a slew of information available if you're willing to do the research.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 4 of 6
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@gabledodge wrote:

The customer service rep. mislead me. I called and asked if the score was a "true" score or hypothesis. 

-K. 

It's a true score, just not a genuine FICO score... and all credit scores are "hypothetical" since they can't see into the future. They just offer a simplification of your entire reported credit history into a number. Kinda like a movie critic rating. Is 3 stars out of 4 a "true" rating? Yes. Is it authoritative, and does it represent your movie-watching needs? Maybe, maybe not. 

Also, there are several (dozens of?) different FICO models, and various creditors/lenders may use very different models. I believe it's been said recently that Amex uses internal scoring models, based on their own information as well as your credit report. And then there's the FICO8 Bankcard score that apparently has a different range than traditional FICO scores. Confusing much? yep. Smiley Happy 

Hope this helps. It took me a while to get this far in my score awareness... for a while I thought the scores I paid Equifax for were FICO, but then again I always used them as a relative score/progress indicator rather than "I must have 800 FICOs" Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@gabledodge wrote:

my utilization is 16 percent (which I'm pretty sure is wrong, since I just paid off our AMEX and only have a total $300.12 outstanding balance on any/all of my credit cards)

Keep in mind that balances don't update instantly.  They'll update when your creditors normally report to the CRA's.

Also keep in mind that you have scores based on Experian and Equifax as well as Transunion.

@gabledodge wrote:

Good idea? How much of a swing?

Thank you for your help; I'm twenty-five and likely going to purchase a home in three years following graduation.

Any suggestions? 

We can't tell you that you'll get X points for Y improvement in your utilization.  Your best bet is to calculate the change in utilization and check your FICO's for the corresponding change.  All we can say is the usual:

• Keep utilization under 30%.
  • Ideal utilization is probably 10% or less but you'll have to verify through testing to see what's specifically ideal for you.
  • For optimal scoring (i.e. prior to applying for anything), allow only 1 balance to report with 10% or less utilization.

@gabledodge wrote:

The customer service rep. mislead me. I called and asked if the score was a "true" score or hypothesis.

True, real, precise, accurate etc really don't mean anything in contexts like this.  FAKO's are true, real, precise, accurate, etc but only for their own model.  You can't rely on one model to tell you what your score is with another model.  Generally speaking, FICO's come directly from FICO though some creditors do provide them with their products.  Even if you get a FICO keep in mind that FICO has many models.

@parakleet wrote:

There's no way to recommend what the best travel card would be for you and your family's travel needs. It depends on what airlines hubs youre close to, what type of trip you want to take, what kinds of hotels you're looking into, whether you're into business/coach travel, domestic/international, etc.

...and spend/categories.

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

I believe it's been said recently that Amex uses internal scoring models, based on their own information as well as your credit report. 

AmEx uses FICO as well as their internal modeling.  When I didn't get the requested CLI they sent me a letter with the reason(s), FICO and CRA used in the decision.

@gabledodge wrote:

Do you think adding a new credit card will increase my score within two years?

Keep in mind the usual factors:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Adding a card will reduce AAoA and add at least one inquiry.  Having more available credit may help to reduce you utilization.  It won't really help your mix of credit.  You're already above the generally recommended 2-3 cards for optimal scoring purposes.  Again, we don't have a crystall ball but adding a card now probably wouldn't harm your scores and you could easily recover from any possible drop resulting from adding a card now.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.