Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suing Equifax

tag
alexl22
Regular Contributor

Suing Equifax

I am just tired. I have been figting with them for over a year to accuratly report things on my credit report. Numerous disputes, call ins which result in them causing more harm to my file, numerous BBB cases and CFPB complains with no resolution and I am just tired of fighting with them only to get nothing done. How do I go about doing this? Contact a lawyer? Should it be a civil suit?  I am just done dealing with this company. I have given them ample time to make corrections. I will be applying for a mortgage in June and just done see being able to clear these things up before then. Le sigh

Starting Score: myFICO TU: 542, myFICO EQ: 556 EX: 549 (03/2013)
Current Score: 729 TU, EQ: 702, EX 724

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Suing Equifax

The question is a bit broad, and requires narrowing to specific asserted violations.

Bringing civil action requires identification of the statute being violated, which will usually be the FCRA, but could be a state version of that federal statute that sets more restrictive requirments.  Some sections of the FCRA are exempt for private civil action by a consumer, and can only be brought by a governmentatl agency.

First would be identification of the specific statutory requirment the CRA is violating.  Each violation would be separate.

Second, are you sure that the CRA is the violator, and not a furnisher?

Third, if you filed a complaint with the CFPB, why was there no resolution?

What, specifically, is the asserted violation by the credit reporting agency?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know anything about a lawsuit, but I am with you. I HATE EQUIFAX. Seriously. I can't stand anything about them. My credit score with them is a minimum of 60 points lower at any given time than Experian and Transunion. They are impossible to deal with. Their CSR's don't give two craps about anything all they care about is selling you products. I did finally get a hold of a manager recently who was in the United States, and she still told me the same exact thing that the other people did basically, I can't help you. I have incorrect information on my Equifax report. When I tried to dispute it I can't login to my Equifax because it keeps telling me that I'm not who I say I am. I finally got them to send me a paper credit report recently. Up until that point I couldn't see any information, no account numbers, they kept asking me what the account numbers were so I could dispute the items. I told them over and over I can't tell you the account numbers because I can't see them because I can't get into my credit report!! I have spent countless phone calls with them and I've pretty much given up. I hate it when people check my Equifax report. :-(
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax is bad and some of the other bureaus are just as bad.  You should sue them.  I am trying to find an attorney to sue them also.  My problem is different than yours and yours is probably easier to pursue.  Mine is due to a problem with their credit monitoring product and I am about to start my own thread about this because I am not the only person having the problem.

Attorney familiar with suing Equifax

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/equifax-loses-186-million-lawsuit/story?id=19803421

If your dispute with Equifax is due to uncorrected errors on your report, then this lawyer might be able to help you.  He got a big settlement for another client with errors on their Equifax report.  You are right they are a bad company and will NOT help consumers.  They are very aware there are problems with their credit monitoring products not working as advertised and the do NOT care at all.  Keep records of all your complaints with the BBB and CFPB.  I have to say the BBB of Atlanta, which handles Equifax complaints does nothing to prevent the mistreatment of consumers by Equifax and really should be ashamed of themselves.  I have asked for help from the BBB of Atlanta several times and they have to be in Equifax's back pocket because as long as Equifax responds, they close the complaints even though in their responses Equifax admits their product does not work properly.  If I were you I would also contact the BBB national headquarters in Virginia and complain about the BBB of Atlanta for not ensuring 'fair interaction' when consumers contact them for help with Equifax.  If Equifax admits there are problems and won't fix them, and the BBB of Atlanta won't help, then what are consumers to do?

BBB National Headuqarters Info

https://www.bbb.org/council/about/contact/

Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The question is a bit broad, and requires narrowing to specific asserted violations.

+1.  If the OP wants feedback we need a lot more information on the matter.  Anyone can certainly sue for any reason but if one wants to actually win then one needs to have a suitable case.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

.,,,,,right to private civl action by a consumer does not apply to any and all violations of the FCRA.

Congress removed the ability of individual consumers to bring civil action for asserted violations of reporting inaccurate information (FCRA 623(a)(1)).

They did so based on the fact that credit reporting is voluntary, and they did not want to dissuade furnishers from reporting.

The right to bring civil action for assertions of reporting of knowlngly inaccurate information is reserved to federal agencies.  See FCRA 623(c).

Thus, it is critical to know if that is the asserted violation.......

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.