Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suing creditor for unauthorized HP?

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Suing creditor for unauthorized HP?

If a creditor inquires a HP without permission, what should be done? 

Let's assume that request to remove has been ignored.  What rights do consumers have in this situation?   Can we sue them and for how much?

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Suing creditor for unauthorized HP?

Nothing really.

Having a relationship with them generally constitutes permissible purpose.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 38
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Okay, I'll bite.

Who was the creditor? What were you looking for? Did you do it on line where there might have been something you overlooked reading, or check marked? Was it on the phone?

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 38
myjourney
Super Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Nothing really.

Having a relationship with them generally constitutes permissible purpose.

Nothing you can do but suck it up sorry

Correct +1 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 38
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

It's not any creditor in particular.  I was just discussing credit with several colleaques today.  The discussion got into SPs and HPs. 

It seems by definition of "relationship" any creditor in the past that you have applied for credit from can HP for any reason at anytime.  This seems wrong for some reason. 

What about situations involving past bill collectors or employers or rental agencies where you have authorized a credit check one time?  Can they continuously HP you for the rest of your life? 

I can understand SP from past creditors where relationship was established.  But for HPs? 

Message 5 of 38
myjourney
Super Contributor

Any creditor with an open account can HP you

CA's have also used this method 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 38
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Only in America do we see someone asking how much punitive damage compensation they are entitled to receive if their lender who provides them a non-collateral large sum loan checks their credit report. 

Sigh.... 

Message 7 of 38
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Yeah, This sucks... Now a days it's lawsuits everywhere... Over stuff that doesn't matter much.

Message 8 of 38
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

If it will help everyone breath better there was a FOXnews special awhile back about a guy who makes his living suing creditors and setting up telemarketing companies  for breaking laws.  I thought there was a law for the credit industry that fines $1000 per violation.   Not sure if this involved credit inquiries.  

But after reading some of the posts on this forum it seems some banks CSR  are lying to people about HP and SP.  It might not sound like a big deal to people that don't need it.. but for those entering or restarting the credit building mode one single HP or in some cases 10 unathorized HPs can cost consumers loss of opportunities. 

Just a  thought ... no judges allowed.

Message 9 of 38
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Perhaps I am out of line, OP, but here it goes any way.

Judging by the name you use as your forum handle, I gather that you're young. 21. That doesn't mean that I think that you're dumb or irresponsible, though I know plenty who were at that age, including myself.

Your age tells me though, that you have limited experience with credit because you've only really been eligible for the last few years. That's okay though. You came here because you want to make a change, gain knowledge and do things differently to fix your credit.

However, your posts tell me that you might not understand how credit works and that there are absolutely NO quick fixes. The mistakes you've made, they will take a lot of time to un do. A lot of time. I'm not suggesting that you are doing anything wrong in your posting, you're doing every thing right in seeking guidance. It's a matter of trying to buckle down, and do the work required. You can not be impulsive with credit. You're going to need to pay down your debts, and probably pay off your negative accounts. The hard part is paying out money for items when you want that money for new things, or new credit, but it's what you're going to need to do, if the accounts are in debt, and old. Some of your accounts are probably recent enough that you might have better luck than most, if you work to get them taken care of now.

Creditors are not going to extend you trust when they see what happened to the folks that have done so already in the past. The creditors were not at fault for extending you credit, you were at fault for accepting it, at a time when you couldn't manage it. It happens. It happens a lot, to many of us. The situation you find yourself in now though, is that you need to either correct those issues and take responsibility for them, or keep trying to find ways out of them with out paying for them.. and frustrating yourself.

Read through these forums. If you have a question, it's possible someone has asked it in some way before you. Try to think to yourself first, before asking something if it is prudent, and the right thing to do. No one here is going to give you shady advice that relieves you of your responsibilities. They will only try to help you if someone else is doing something illegal.

If you are comfortable, lay every thing out in the credit building forum. Your scores, your current baddies- their amounts, dates, and who the creditors are. From there you'll get a lot of help on fixing them one by one. However, you are likely going to have to pay money out of pocket for some of them if you really want them fixed.

Again, if this is perceived in a way that sounds offensive and not well meaning, I apologize to you, and I ask that a moderator removes it. What I really want out of all of this though, is a concrete way to help answer all or most of your  questions at once (or at least for someone knowledgeable to be able to do so)

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.