Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspend my license????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suspend my license????

I was involved in an accident a while back, and had no insurance. Bad Me!

The vehicle has not been repaired yet, as I see it every day.

Today a collection company calls me, and tries to get me to make payment arragments over the phone, which I decline to do.

Her response.

Don't you have a drivers license?

Well, yes I do.

If you are not willing to make payment arrangements, we will put in a notice to suspend your drivers lacense.

Well, after I get something in writing, we will see.

Also, she had my address wrong, but I did not correct it. Should I have given her a corrected address?

Is this BS, can they suspend my drivers license???

Message Edited by jaguls66 on 07-06-2007 10:23 AM
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Suspend my license????

It depends. If this is regarding your accident and an insurance company is trying to collect then yes they can goto court and file a motion to suspend your license. In Ohio if you are caught without insurance its 90 days no driving privledges at all, they take your plates and place wheel locks on your car. They also require you to carry high risk insurance for 3 years. I would highly suggest you check out your state laws for uninsured vehicles.
Message 2 of 29
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

hey jaguls66

How far back and what state?  Who are they collecting for and is it the first you've heard of it?  How much $$?

Nope don't correct the address.

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SmartCookie wrote:
hey jaguls66

How far back and what state?  Who are they collecting for and is it the first you've heard of it?  How much $$?

Nope don't correct the address.

6-8 months ago Alabama State Farm First I have heard. The guy I had the accident with said he was making the repairs, and I was waiting for him to tell me how much the costs were going to be. Anyone know where I might find a law regarding this? and on "Service" serving me papers? Can they tack them on the address they have for me, and that counts??

Message Edited by jaguls66 on 07-06-2007 10:55 AM
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaguls66 wrote:

I'll ask what state are you in, but I fail to see how a CA could get your DL suspended. Only the state can do that.

Oh, and the CA making such a threat, perhaps constitutes a violation of the FDCPA. See §806 Harassment or abuse and §807 False or misleading representations.

The state you are in also matters insofar as whether you can record the conversation and not tell them.
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/alabama.html

Ala. Code § 13A-11-30, -31: Unlawful eavesdropping is defined as the overhearing or recording of the contents of a private communication without the consent of at least one person engaged in the communication.

Short answer, you can tape the call and you don't have to tell them you are taping. If they are going to make these threats, I'd get a recorder, hook it up, test it, and then get 'em on tape.

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll ask what state are you in, but I fail to see how a CA could get your DL suspended. Only the state can do that.

Oh, and the CA making such a threat, perhaps constitutes a violation of the FDCPA. See §806 Harassment or abuse and §807 False or misleading representations.

The state you are in also matters insofar as whether you can record the conversation and not tell them.

Noah,

I am in alabama. Since this revolves around insurance, and it is mandatory in my state, could this be true?

Any idea where I could find info on the laws. Also Service info for my state?

Message Edited by jaguls66 on 07-06-2007 10:58 AM
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaguls66 wrote:

I am in alabama. Since this revolves around insurance, and it is mandatory in my state, could this be true?

Any idea where I could find info on the laws. Also Service info for my state?

Seems a stretch, at best. Are they claiming the collection is in connection with the accident?

I'd start searching your state AG's website. Look for either consumer or insurance info.

Also look for a state insurance commissioner's website.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, State Farm apparently paid their client. Now they are coming after me. But the car is not fixed yet. I was looking at it while in the phone with them.
Message 9 of 29
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Whats happening is the CA will go back to State Farm and inform them that you refuse to make restitution of the insurance payout. What SF will do is file a writ with your BMV with the accident information and request that they suspend your license. I HIGHLY suggest you setup a payment arrangement with the CA and repay State Farm and buy yourself of state min coverage.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.