Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from BoA to DCU?

tag
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Switching from BoA to DCU?

Hi folks,

I was recently approved for a DCU auto refi and a credit card. Both are great deals for me - the loan is at a dramatically lower rate than the one I got when I was still in the very early stages of rebuilding, and the credit card is my highest limit yet at my lowest interest rate. And they approved both with just one pull from EQ. Not bad at all.

That said, they have their online banking set up such that I can only make online payments on my car loan and my cc from a DCU checking or savings account. I really don't want to have to mail in checks multiple times each month, and I also don't think it would be great to constantly make bank-to-bank transfers from my BoA checking account to DCU.

So, I'm wondering - should I just go all-in on DCU and switch to their Relationship Banking? (Checking, savings, and my loans). I only have a checking and savings acc't with BoA (no other loans/products), so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to switch. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience banking with DCU, and whether things like customer service, convenience of ATM use, etc are relatively good. I'm thinking the biggest pro for switching is that I can pay my loans & cc's the way I want to, and I'll get a bit of a discount on my auto rate. The biggest con is probably ATM access (especially here in New England, BoA is everywhere).

If anyone has anything to share, I'd be hugely grateful. Thanks as always!

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dave024
New Contributor

Re: Switching from BoA to DCU?

I don't have any personal information on DCU to answer most of your questions(I'm planning to apply next month for a membership and credit card). I just wanted to add that I think Bank of America offers Bill Pay which will allow you to make the payments on your DCU account without needing to mail in checks a couple times a month.

Message 2 of 6
H14
Contributor

I recently switched from PNC to Chase, and I too was concerned about ATM usage since all the convenient ones are PNC around here. I actually solved this with DCU, their plus benefits:

Plus Benefits

• Free use of non-DCU ATMs
  • Up to $5/month in non-DCU ATM surcharge reimbursements

For the rare occasion I need to take out cash, the reimbursement will cover me. 

Should mention you can use their atm finder tool to see which atms around you will work with them. For me, it was all the ones I needed. 

Message 3 of 6
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much for the tip, Dave! I had seen the "Bill Pay" tab in my account before, but had never really looked at it. They actually have a listing for the DCU Visa, and looks like it shouldn't be a problem to add the DCU auto loan as well. Think that means I'll be sticking with BoA for at least a little while longer - thanks again for your help!

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 4 of 6
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much H14, really appreciate your perspective. I think as long as the BoA Bill Pay feature works the way I think it does, I'll probably stay put for now. I usually withdraw some cash 2-3 times a month, so $5/mo might not fully cover my ATM usage. That said, really appreciate your insight and if Bill Pay doesn't go as planned I may well make the same switch myself. 

Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

DCU has been my main CU for 10 years.  I have an auto , visa, checking and savings accts. I have never stepped foot in a branch. All transactions that require a branch visit, are done at a shared branch.  All transactions post immediately and besides the benefit of a day or two access to direct deposits, it's been the easiest bank/cu I have had to deal with-no issues. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.