Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THIS is why you always have account alerts active *Fraud*

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

THIS is why you always have account alerts active *Fraud*

Good evening  guys.

I have a quick little story for you. A few minutes ago I just experienced credit card fraud for the first time. I got my first credit card in January of this year, so it only took me  less than 10 months to get owned by fraud.Smiley Indifferent

Card: Chase Sapphire Signature visa, $10k limit.

I was JUST about to go to bed in Pennsylvania when *Ping* and email comes in. I wonder " What could that be?"

Its an email from CHASE telling me that they denied a charge in CANADA at a drug store for $53 just now. At first I was like, "is this email legit?"

I then realized. The Last 4 of my account number was correct, my name was correct, and the charge was certainly not mine. I wasn't clicking that link so I called in. 

I called the number on the back of my  card and was instantly connected to a rep. I told them what happened and he imedeatly  transferred me over to the fraud dept. I answered a few quick questions and the charge was removed. 

Before the call ended, I went through and looked at my transactions and noticed that there was another $8 charge for a  Canadian cable company that went through. I added that to the report and it was done.

Chase closed my account, and is sending me a new card in 3-5 days.

Verdict: Chase moves fast on fraud. I'm impressed.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

Re: THIS is why you always have account alerts active *Fraud*

I love Chase's alert system.  I have the alert system set up so I get an email every time there is a charge on the account.  One morning, I received an email with a Netflix charge of $11.99.  My Netflix isn't charged to Chase and isn't $11.99.  I called Chase right away and was able to get a new card.  

We switched to Citibank DC for most of our charges now and Citi doesn't have such a good alert system.

FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 2 of 6
uswala
Senior Contributor

Chase surely is good with alerts. But not with CLs Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can attest to the efficiency of Chase fraud detection and response.

I had fraud use on my debit card late last year to the tune of about $110.00 over 3 transactions and I was credited the money back to my account in less than 24 hours. We believe it was the RF chip in my debit card that got nailed, because the card never left my wallet and at the time, I never used it for purchases other than at the grocery store. So I asked for a non-RF version from Chase, and they were happy to issue one.

The down side for the bank is that they eat any fraudulent charges that make it through, and the mass mass majority of fraud are never investigated or reported. The Senior AM/LO at my local Chase branch who I requested the non-RF card from said they don't report fraud to law enforcement if its less than a certain amount (don’t remember what that amount was) because its not worth the time, and LE wouldn’t be able to handle it anyway.

Like the majority of petty crime, its never reported or investigated, and it hits the economy to the tune of billions each year.

Anyway, Chase is on top of their game, and I will never carry an RF enabled card again.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP,
Indeed. I too can attest to the speed and patience Chase has with consumers. I had fraudulent activity on my checking account and I made trips to my local Chase branch 3 days in a row, exactly at 8:30am, when they open, to address the matter and ensure the process was swift. I have in this week restricted the old account, allowed for certain companies to withdraw money from my new account, and am being sent a new debit card. This was done in about 2 days.

As far as Chase goes, their fraud policies are quite good, and the employees are respectful and helpful.

Message 5 of 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Yep Chase is very good with fraud prevention just keep that in mind when you go for travel outside the US - do not forget a country  for your travel plans or the fraud system will beat you Smiley Happy  .. I just recently forgot to mention a transit stop  on my travel and used my CSP for a drink at a transit airport ..bam .. account locked. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

At least I know that it will work...lol

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.