cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU FICO from 588 to 703 in 44 days!

tag
spruceGREY

TU FICO from 588 to 703 in 44 days!

My story: turned 18, got some cards and maxed them out. Waited 10 years and started rebuilding in 2011 with a TU FICO score of 530: Fingerhut, First Premier, Orchard Bank, Capital One (x 2), Bank of America (partially secured), Credit One, PayPal SmartConnnect another First Premier. Kept pretty high balances most times as all cash flow was going into my business.

This past fall I made a great sale and ended up with $5000 to spare, so I paid off all cards. I also successfully disputed a $89 collections account that I never heard of and two other baddies that were set to fall of in a few months. Then I applied for a Barclay's card and got rejected. Letter in the mail said they pulled TU on December 12, 2013 and got a 588. In the following weeks the cards started reported as paid off.

In January, I called Bank of America and politely asked them to unsecure the card. The (incredible rude) service agent on the phone refused and the letter they sent me said they pulled TU on January 14 and got 655. I then initiated credit limit increases and upgrade requests with all 3 of my CapitalOne cards (the Orchard One card was bought by CapOne). They raised all (including a 100% raise on my $500 card) and upgraded all to 1.5% rewards cards.

Then I figured out why the "shopping cart trick" never worked for me. I wasn't including the quirk in my address that shows up on my credit reports (but not in regular mail). As soon as I tried that, I got instant soft-pull approval for the following cards:

Sportsman's Guide Visa - $5000

Brylane store card - $800 (first store card since screwing Sears over a decade ago)

J.Crew store card - $750

Blair store card - $500

Express store card - $500

I was also pre-approved for $750 with OneSizePlus and $700 with Buckle, but I didn't take those two.

With all of this going on I wanted to check my reports today. I pulled all three at MyFico.com and got:

EX 658 EX (myfico), 4 negs; 2 set to fall off by July 2014, one Department of Ed student loan for $1500 never set to fall off, and child support that shows paid

EQ 673 EQ (myfico), 2 $100 negs set to fall off by July 2014
TU 703 TU (myfico), CK said 64, 2 $100 negs set to fall off by July 2014

That's right, TU is now up to 703 from 588 just 34 days prior!

WOW!

It explains why I got the great limit with Sportman's Guide since they soft-pull TU (most of the others pull EQ, Brylane pulls EX).

So here I am with these much-improved scores and 1-3 inquiries depending on which report you look at. I'd like to move up in the category of cards I have. This is what I have, in order of approval:

- 2011 Fingerhut $150 CL, never used but reports. First thing I got approved for.

- 2011 Cap One QuicksilverOne Rewards (originally HSBC). $400 CL. Originally 300.

- 2011 Cap One QuicksilverOne Rewards. $850 CL. Originally $500.

- 2012 Bank of America. $500 CL. Partially secured with $100 that they said I'd get back in a year (never happened).

- 2012 Cap One QuicksilverOne Rewards. $1000 CL. Originally $300.

- 2012 First Premier. $700 CL. Originally $400.

- 2012 Credit One: $400 CL. Originally $300.

- 2012 PayPal SmartConnect: $400 CL.

- 2013 First Premier. $400 CL.

- 2014 Sportsman's Guide Visa - $5000

- 2014 Brylane store card - $800 (first store card since screwing Sears over a decade ago)

- 2014 J.Crew store card - $750

- 2014 Blair store card - $500

- 2014 Express store card - $500

The cards I would like are:

Barclay's Rewards MasterCard for Average Credit (Barclay's)

Brooks Brothers store card or MasterCard (GE)

Amazon store card (GE)

WalMart Discover or store card (GE)

I shop Amazon and Brooks Brothers regularly. I like Wal Mart because it's Discover. I would happily accept a Visa or Mastercard of any type in place of those store cards since they have universal applications. Cards from Citi and Chase look great, but I doubt I could get approval. Do any of these cards pull TU regularly?

I'd also like to close my First Premier and Credit One cards so I can apply for American Express and Discover sometime in the future (hopefully December 2015). I don't use FingerHut, but I'm afraid to close it since it's my oldest open.

Other future plans include possible auto loan (~$25,000) and mortgage (~$15,000) in early 2015.

So here's proof that you can greatly improve your credit score with even a minimum amount of effort combined with a request from the more knowledgable members here for advice on how to move forward from here. Any input is very welcome! (Sorry for the long post...)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: TU FICO from 588 to 703 in 44 days!

Congrats on your success and keep moving forward and working on any baddies and before you know it 700's across the board 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

That is a fascinating complete turnaround.

Many Congrats!

Keep up the useful effort.
Message 3 of 6
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@spruceGREY wrote:

My story: turned 18, got some cards and maxed them out. Waited 10 years and started rebuilding in 2011 with a TU FICO score of 530: Fingerhut, First Premier, Orchard Bank, Capital One (x 2), Bank of America (partially secured), Credit One, PayPal SmartConnnect another First Premier. Kept pretty high balances most times as all cash flow was going into my business.

This past fall I made a great sale and ended up with $5000 to spare, so I paid off all cards. I also successfully disputed a $89 collections account that I never heard of and two other baddies that were set to fall of in a few months. Then I applied for a Barclay's card and got rejected. Letter in the mail said they pulled TU on December 12, 2013 and got a 588. In the following weeks the cards started reported as paid off.

In January, I called Bank of America and politely asked them to unsecure the card. The (incredible rude) service agent on the phone refused and the letter they sent me said they pulled TU on January 14 and got 655. I then initiated credit limit increases and upgrade requests with all 3 of my CapitalOne cards (the Orchard One card was bought by CapOne). They raised all (including a 100% raise on my $500 card) and upgraded all to 1.5% rewards cards.

Then I figured out why the "shopping cart trick" never worked for me. I wasn't including the quirk in my address that shows up on my credit reports (but not in regular mail). As soon as I tried that, I got instant soft-pull approval for the following cards:

Sportsman's Guide Visa - $5000

Brylane store card - $800 (first store card since screwing Sears over a decade ago)

J.Crew store card - $750

Blair store card - $500

Express store card - $500

I was also pre-approved for $750 with OneSizePlus and $700 with Buckle, but I didn't take those two.

With all of this going on I wanted to check my reports today. I pulled all three at MyFico.com and got:

EX 658 EX (myfico), 4 negs; 2 set to fall off by July 2014, one Department of Ed student loan for $1500 never set to fall off, and child support that shows paid

EQ 673 EQ (myfico), 2 $100 negs set to fall off by July 2014
TU 703 TU (myfico), CK said 64, 2 $100 negs set to fall off by July 2014

That's right, TU is now up to 703 from 588 just 34 days prior!

WOW!

It explains why I got the great limit with Sportman's Guide since they soft-pull TU (most of the others pull EQ, Brylane pulls EX).

So here I am with these much-improved scores and 1-3 inquiries depending on which report you look at. I'd like to move up in the category of cards I have. This is what I have, in order of approval:

- 2011 Fingerhut $150 CL, never used but reports. First thing I got approved for.

- 2011 Cap One QuicksilverOne Rewards (originally HSBC). $400 CL. Originally 300.

- 2011 Cap One QuicksilverOne Rewards. $850 CL. Originally $500.

- 2012 Bank of America. $500 CL. Partially secured with $100 that they said I'd get back in a year (never happened).

- 2012 Cap One QuicksilverOne Rewards. $1000 CL. Originally $300.

- 2012 First Premier. $700 CL. Originally $400.

- 2012 Credit One: $400 CL. Originally $300.

- 2012 PayPal SmartConnect: $400 CL.

- 2013 First Premier. $400 CL.

- 2014 Sportsman's Guide Visa - $5000

- 2014 Brylane store card - $800 (first store card since screwing Sears over a decade ago)

- 2014 J.Crew store card - $750

- 2014 Blair store card - $500

- 2014 Express store card - $500

The cards I would like are:

Barclay's Rewards MasterCard for Average Credit (Barclay's)

Brooks Brothers store card or MasterCard (GE)

Amazon store card (GE)

WalMart Discover or store card (GE)

I shop Amazon and Brooks Brothers regularly. I like Wal Mart because it's Discover. I would happily accept a Visa or Mastercard of any type in place of those store cards since they have universal applications. Cards from Citi and Chase look great, but I doubt I could get approval. Do any of these cards pull TU regularly?

I'd also like to close my First Premier and Credit One cards so I can apply for American Express and Discover sometime in the future (hopefully December 2015). I don't use FingerHut, but I'm afraid to close it since it's my oldest open.

Other future plans include possible auto loan (~$25,000) and mortgage (~$15,000) in early 2015.

So here's proof that you can greatly improve your credit score with even a minimum amount of effort combined with a request from the more knowledgable members here for advice on how to move forward from here. Any input is very welcome! (Sorry for the long post...)

Congrats Smiley Happy that the way to do it..... WTG

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 6
spruceGREY

Thanks! Was able to call Bank of America back door last night and get them to finally unsecure the card. They couldn't raise the limit, but he said that was only because of the two negatives reporting. Those are small and set to fall off in a matter of months, and I am already disputing them as obsolete, so looks like I'm on the right road. I also called GE/PayPal backdoor and got my credit limit doubled.

Seems EX is reporting so much lower because it shows student loan debt. I called the collection agency and will do a settlement with them that they say will make the loan report as paid in full / never late.

Message 5 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@spruceGREY wrote:

Thanks! Was able to call Bank of America back door last night and get them to finally unsecure the card. They couldn't raise the limit, but he said that was only because of the two negatives reporting. Those are small and set to fall off in a matter of months, and I am already disputing them as obsolete, so looks like I'm on the right road. I also called GE/PayPal backdoor and got my credit limit doubled.

Seems EX is reporting so much lower because it shows student loan debt. I called the collection agency and will do a settlement with them that they say will make the loan report as paid in full / never late.

Congrats on getting the card unsecured ....your doing wonderful job keep it up Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.