Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU FICO vs CK score

tag
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

TU FICO vs CK score

I know this has been talked about before, but I think it may help someone to post it here.

I was worried I had screwed up my credit because my high limit card reported a balance of 1100 dollars. (I paid it immediately but it still hit before the payment posted). I was scared to get my score but thought ok, I have to know (curiousity killed the cat) and did it. Actually the scores are now higher by about 5 to 10 points.

But my point I wanted to share is Creditkarma gives you a simulated score, based apparently on a TU model. My CK score is 698. But my TU FICO is 763. CK rates me "fair" in terms of credit score, but a 763 FICO is not a score one usually associates with "fair" credit. Obviously CK scores much differently than a FICO does.

I think it's important for people to know this and not put TOO much stock in what CK says. It's a great free service, but you have to take their numbers with a grain of salt. They also rate me a "poor" auto insurance risk, but I haven't had a claim, ticket, or accident in well over 20 years, and my credit is good, so how they would define a "good" auto risk, I have no clue, but again I think you have to really take what is said there with a big grain of salt.

Just hope this info is helpful/useful to you guys.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: TU FICO vs CK score

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

I know this has been talked about before, but I think it may help someone to post it here.

I was worried I had screwed up my credit because my high limit card reported a balance of 1100 dollars. (I paid it immediately but it still hit before the payment posted). I was scared to get my score but thought ok, I have to know (curiousity killed the cat) and did it. Actually the scores are now higher by about 5 to 10 points.

But my point I wanted to share is Creditkarma gives you a simulated score, based apparently on a TU model. My CK score is 698. But my TU FICO is 763. CK rates me "fair" in terms of credit score, but a 763 FICO is not a score one usually associates with "fair" credit. Obviously CK scores much differently than a FICO does.

I think it's important for people to know this and not put TOO much stock in what CK says. It's a great free service, but you have to take their numbers with a grain of salt. They also rate me a "poor" auto insurance risk, but I haven't had a claim, ticket, or accident in well over 20 years, and my credit is good, so how they would define a "good" auto risk, I have no clue, but again I think you have to really take what is said there with a big grain of salt.

Just hope this info is helpful/useful to you guys.

+1.  Ignore their credit advise, and don't try to correlate their scores with FICO scores.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 30
nomoore
Contributor

+1 Credit Karma is good for monitoring your TU credit report. That is all. Their credit score and credit advice are all FAKE. Don't trust either one.

Open Credit Cards:   Target Visa/5900CL    |    AMEX BCP/6000CL
Latest Credit Scores:   780 TU (2011-08-01)
Credit Score History:   708 EQ (2011-07-01)    |    682 TU (2011-06-30)    |    693 EQ (2010-05-21)
Message 3 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

CK is a great free service to find good deals in a single portal.

However, some of their advice is just bizarre.  For instance, they recommend that I get 24 credit cards.  

Message 4 of 30
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

CK always shows my score consistantly between 50-60 points lower than my actual TU Fico.  This is the same for most of the people who I showed the CK site.  I just need to stop updating it every three days out of desperate hope........

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 30
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@mtrsprt wrote:

CK always shows my score consistantly between 50-60 points lower than my actual TU Fico.  This is the same for most of the people who I showed the CK site.  I just need to stop updating it every three days out of desperate hope........

Only every 3 days? I do it every day Smiley Happy I don't know WHY but, that luv button is there.....I'm trying not to press it!

Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 6 of 30
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

@mtrsprt wrote:

Only every 3 days? I do it every day Smiley Happy I don't know WHY but, that luv button is there.....I'm trying not to press it!

3 days is pushing it... I have gone daily believe me.....  I only have three open accounts, and I have a general idea when they report, yes I still do it..... I HATE that "update" button..........  I have gone as so much as waiting on the 24th hour, for when it allows me to update it again..........  It's disgusting.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 30
nomoore
Contributor

Wow! Maybe I'm not crazy. I update daily too.

Open Credit Cards:   Target Visa/5900CL    |    AMEX BCP/6000CL
Latest Credit Scores:   780 TU (2011-08-01)
Credit Score History:   708 EQ (2011-07-01)    |    682 TU (2011-06-30)    |    693 EQ (2010-05-21)
Message 8 of 30
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@nomoore wrote:

You probably aren't crazy but I am. I admit it!

Still compared to Citi, I'm almost normal! Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 30
learnin113
Established Contributor

@nomoore wrote:

I did too, becuz I was really holding out hope it would Mod Cut... Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.