Re: TU reporting wrong. CFPB complaint?

Pulled on exactly the same date:

Message 21 of 29
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pulled on exactly the same date:

This is a perfect example!  Thank you for sharing this CAPTOOL.  I am really hoping that we can figure this out.  There is a serious malfunction somewhere.

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 22 of 29
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

This is the latest response I received from Discover.  Even though I explained the issue in countless ways, I don't think they really understood that I have a legitimate issue. Smiley Sad

Discover: 02/18/16

Hello I-think-I-can,

Thank you for your recent message about the issues you're having with your TransUnion credit report. I wish to express my sincere apology for any difficulties or inconvenience you may have experienced with this.

We appreciate your feedback in this situation. It is comments such as yours that allow us the opportunity to better serve our customers.

I would recommend that you give us a ring! Either that or write us a letter. There are two ways to initiate a delinquency dispute with us:

• Contact us at 1-800-DISCOVER (347-2683).
  • Write to Discover Financial Services, Credit Bureau Disputes, PO Box 15316, Wilmington, DE 19850.

We'd happy to look further into this situation for you. Have a nice evening!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I appreciate your business and the opportunity to be of service.

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Message 23 of 29
iv
Valued Contributor

@oilcan12 wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The funny thing for me is, originally Barclays and Discover were matching my myFICO scores

Exactly the same with me.

I am experiencing the same thing since September 2015.

Discover and Barclays are somehow obtaining Fico scores based on information that has been removed from Transunion Credit reports. Several posters are now reporting this. I don't know whether this is by design or simply a case of Transunion incompetence.

While I'm not seeing the mis-matched info on Discover that several of you are - I also haven't had anything *removed* from my TU report.

From the descriptions of the problem I've been reading, it also sounds like TU is providing a service that feeds updates-only, rather than full reports on trigger/pull.  If so, then normal triggering events could still provide info to Discover etc... but only the updated data (merging the "update" with the previous full pull).

But events that don't normally cause a trigger might not be sending a "removal" event, and the merged report that Discover is holding would then have a combo of old, deleted data, and new updated trigger-based data.

For those of you having this problem - does that sound likely?  Are the discrepancies between the real TU reports and the (apparent) Discover report all tracable to things that would not cause a TU trigger, like deletions?

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 24 of 29
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

@iv wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The funny thing for me is, originally Barclays and Discover were matching my myFICO scores

Exactly the same with me.

I am experiencing the same thing since September 2015.

Discover and Barclays are somehow obtaining Fico scores based on information that has been removed from Transunion Credit reports. Several posters are now reporting this. I don't know whether this is by design or simply a case of Transunion incompetence.

While I'm not seeing the mis-matched info on Discover that several of you are - I also haven't had anything *removed* from my TU report.

From the descriptions of the problem I've been reading, it also sounds like TU is providing a service that feeds updates-only, rather than full reports on trigger/pull.  If so, then normal triggering events could still provide info to Discover etc... but only the updated data (merging the "update" with the previous full pull).

But events that don't normally cause a trigger might not be sending a "removal" event, and the merged report that Discover is holding would then have a combo of old, deleted data, and new updated trigger-based data.

For those of you having this problem - does that sound likely?  Are the discrepancies between the real TU reports and the (apparent) Discover report all tracable to things that would not cause a TU trigger, like deletions?

IV, thank you for your response!  This could be what is happening, as it seems to be referencing old derogatories for most (all?) of us that are experiencing the issue.  I know I have not received an alert regarding any removal of derogatories, so this is definitely a plausible explanation of what could be occurring.  

Message 25 of 29
JLK93
Established Contributor

@iv wrote:

Thank you for the analysis iv. You may be on to something as far as this phenomenon is only related to updates and not regular credit pulls. However, I don't believe that what you are suggesting is what is actually happening here.

The Fico scores are calculated at the credit bureau not by Discover. So, it wouldn't make sense for Transunion to calculate a score off of anything except a current report. In fact, it wouldn't matter what information Discover is holding, since the score is calculated by Transunion. All credit scores, Fico and Fako, are calculated by the credit bureaus.

Also, my Discover Fico score was 849. Then, in September, it suddenly dropped to 834. So, information that had been previously removed was now being scored. It wasn't a case of old information lingering on Discover's version of my credit report.

In my case, it really doen't matter. I still get all the CLIs I want from Discover. I would just like to know what is going on.

For others, it is a more serious situation. IIRC, one poster mentioned having a lien removed by a court order. If Transunion is providing a Fico score based on this information, then, it would seem that Transunion is in violation of a court order.

Message 26 of 29
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

@oilcan12 wrote:

@iv wrote:

Thank you for the analysis iv. You may be on to something as far as this phenomenon is only related to updates and not regular credit pulls. However, I don't believe that what you are suggesting is what is actually happening here.

The Fico scores are calculated at the credit bureau not by Discover. So, it wouldn't make sense for Transunion to calculate a score off of anything except a current report. In fact, it wouldn't matter what information Discover is holding, since the score is calculated by Transunion. All credit scores, Fico and Fako, are calculated by the credit bureaus.

Also, my Discover Fico score was 849. Then, in September, it suddenly dropped to 834. So, information that had been previously removed was now being scored. It wasn't a case of old information lingering on Discover's version of my credit report.

In my case, it really doen't matter. I still get all the CLIs I want from Discover. I would just like to know what is going on.

For others, it is a more serious situation. IIRC, one poster mentioned having a lien removed by a court order. If Transunion is providing a Fico score based on this information, then, it would seem that Transunion is in violation of a court order.

Thank you oilcan!  I can see what you mean.  IV is definitely on to something with information being held, but it isn't by Discover, it is by TU instead(?).  

I must wonder how, if we are purchasing the same reports that creditors/credit bureaus use, could TU be referencing the old information and creating a score from it?  How and where are they holding it?  Is it some kind of system flaw?  How can we fix this???

I completely agree in the case of a lien,  TU reporting it outside of appropriate time would be in violation of a court order.   My issue with Discover cli's isn't the end of the world....but it is frustrating, that is for sure!

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I know for certain in my case. The updates that were coming from MyFico, and the scores from Discover and Barclays mention a public record. The only public record I had was a state tax lien that vanished from TU a year ago. The scores shown on Discover and Barclays are right where they would be if the tax lien was still there. Pulling my report from any other source: Fresh purchase from MyFico, Credit Check Total, Credit Karma, directly from Transunion or any number of apps both hard and soft pull, show a clean report with the correct score.

Thus my conclusion is that, for some reason, TU is dishing up a cached report that still shows the lien.

Message 28 of 29
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What I know for certain in my case. The updates that were coming from MyFico, and the scores from Discover and Barclays mention a public record. The only public record I had was a state tax lien that vanished from TU a year ago. The scores shown on Discover and Barclays are right where they would be if the tax lien was still there. Pulling my report from any other source: Fresh purchase from MyFico, Credit Check Total, Credit Karma, directly from Transunion or any number of apps both hard and soft pull, show a clean report with the correct score.

Thus my conclusion is that, for some reason, TU is dishing up a cached report that still shows the lien.

It makes perfect sense...I am in the same boat.  I never had a public record on TU, but did have collections from awhile back.  Hence why I am most likely getting that as a factor from Discover, Barclay, Synchrony, and the random score drops that myFico so kindly gifts me with.  Sigh.

Wish there was a way to fix it.  It would be great to see my score reflected accurately everywhere!  I feel like I sorta paid my 7 years(or close to it) of dues for losing everything in 2009...so now I should be able to see a clean, pretty score wherever and whenever!

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.