Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take advantage of wasted inquiry?

tag
jas312
Valued Member

Take advantage of wasted inquiry?

Long story short, I wasted a credit inquiry since I was thinking of replacing my vehicle and backed out minutes before pulling the trigger.

I believe that all inquiries made in a 14-day span count as one...is that correct?  

I have a credit card through ELan that I've had for a year and a half with no auto increases and Discover it has been sending me invitations so I thought about applying for that.  Normally I wouldn't bother wasting an inquiry on either one, but if those would count with the one that I had yesterday for an auto loan, would it be sensible to do that?

Any advice would be great!  Thanks!

AmEx BCP (34.5k), Amazon Prime Visa (25k), Citi DoubleCash (20k), LL Bean Mastercard (10k), Chase Freedom (10k), US Bank Cash+ (9k), BoA Customized Cash (8k), Elan Credit Union Card (4.5k)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Take advantage of wasted inquiry?

INQs for "autos" are counted as one for <scoring> purposes only. For example, if you have 10 auto-related INQs during a 14-day period, they will still show as 10 INQs but will be counted as one for scoring purposes.

Any HPs for CLIs or a new app for CC will count as a separate HP and not be lumped with your auto-related INQs.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Take advantage of wasted inquiry?

The window varies by FICO version. The TU98 FICO on here is 14 days. The EQ FICO on here is 30. And the new EX08 version on here is 45. Newer the score the longer the window. And yes, this only applies to auto, mortgage, and SL inquiries. This doesn't apply to other inquiries.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.