Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Payment Returned...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Lien Payment Returned...

I have a $600 state tax lien on my credit report, which I tried to pay but the Maryland Comtroller's Office sent the checks back to me saying they had no record of it. That it had to be another agency. Thing is, there is no other agency that deals with tax liens.

Do I keep the letter that shows they sent the money back? Or what?

What do I do now? If they are listed as unpaid, how long do they stay on your credit report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax Lien Payment Returned...

What kind of tax lien is it?  Is it a delinquent income tax or another delinquent tax?   Most states usually don't get 3rd party collection agents involved with collecting delinquent taxes.

Although I'm tempted to tell you to dispute the entry on your CRAs and send a copy of the letter form the Comptroller's Office as proof of your dispute, I would try to follow up with the Comptroller's office again since it is a tax debt.   

I would call the Comptroller's customer service line for the tax in question (income or another type of tax) and ask them for their advice.  Let them know that a state tax lien entry is showing up on your credit report, but when you sent a payment to resolve the issue, you received a letter from the office stating that they had no record of this tax debt.   They'll be able to advise you on what will happen.   You may get lucky and they'll send a note to the CRA asking them to remove the entry because they have no record of it. Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They say it's not income tax. I don't own property so it's not property tax. What else could it be?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it a business privilege or a corporate income tax?  Is it a sales tax for a business? Is it an estate tax?  

If you're not sure what it is, try calling your local tax office and ask their advice on what to do.  They may be able to tell you what it is or they may be able to refer you to a number to call.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zen wrote:
I have a $600 state tax lien on my credit report, which I tried to pay but the Maryland Comtroller's Office sent the checks back to me saying they had no record of it. That it had to be another agency. Thing is, there is no other agency that deals with tax liens.

Do I keep the letter that shows they sent the money back? Or what?

What do I do now? If they are listed as unpaid, how long do they stay on your credit report?

ZEN, If the state says that there is no such lien....dispute with CRA  as Not Mine......if it comes back verified.....MOV the CRA
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would dispute the account with the CRA's. You have done all you can to pay the debt. Dispute online. Since they have no record of the debt, this will most likely be deleted. If not, it will probably direct you to the proper authorities.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.