Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Removal Help Needed

tag
ficus
Regular Contributor

Tax Lien Removal Help Needed

Hello, I've a tax lien listed on my Experian (only) report for years. This debt has been paid, and verified as such by Experian. I always knew that it'd take some time for it to disappear, but how long must I wait, or what must I do to have it removed, because while my TransUnion and Equifax are clean, and their respective scores are over 800, the Experian score has been stuck at around 730 for years. This is exactly what the information on the EX report looks like:

Status Details: This item was verified and updated on Aug 2009.
Date Filed: 08/31/2004
Date Resolved: 08/01/2007

What is the suggested course of action to have this problem removed? Thank you in advance..

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Tax Lien Removal Help Needed

@ficus wrote:
Hello, I've a tax lien listed on my Experian (only) report for years. This debt has been paid, and verified as such by Experian. I always knew that it'd take some time for it to disappear, but how long must I wait, or what must I do to have it removed, because while my TransUnion and Equifax are clean, and their respective scores are over 800, the Experian score has been stuck at around 730 for years. This is exactly what the information on the EX report looks like: Status: Tax lien paid,released. Status Details: This item was verified and updated on Aug 2009. Date Filed: 08/31/2004 Date Resolved: 08/01/2007 What is the suggested course of action to have this problem removed? Thank you in advance.

^^^^

Write Experian and ask them to remove it due to time limits and see what their response is. Make sure you ask for a written response back.

Message 2 of 17
ficus
Regular Contributor

How is the time limit applied? Since the date the lien was filed or released?

Additionally, must I pull a new report in order to start this procedure, provide them with a report confirmation # and such? If not, how do I address this problem (in writing) with Experian? Are there any special forms, etc? Thanks

Message 3 of 17
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@ficus wrote:

How is the time limit applied? Since the date the lien was filed or released?

^^^^^

I am not sure of the time restrictions, it could depend on the State you are in and Experian abiding by that.

But my recommendation is to write Experian and ask for a written response back, to remove that item because time limits have expired and let Experian figure out for your if the time limit has expired, if it did, it'll remove it and get a letter reply indicating so.

It does not hurt to write Experian and ask for it, you'll get more information than you have now and on the best case scenario, they'll agree to delete it. Worst case you end up where you are now, with it and an explanation.

Message 4 of 17
ficus
Regular Contributor

If this matters... this was actually a federal lien. It was, however, filed by the New York state.
Message 5 of 17
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@ficus wrote:
If this matters... this was actually a federal lien. It was, however, filed by the New York state.

^^^

Yes it can get complicated so writing Experian and easking them to remove it (and they'll research into it for you), and you'll get a response. Doesn't hurt to ask them to look into removing it.

Message 6 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Is it federal or state? If federal, you may have it withdrawn from your crs. Google IRS Fresh Start Program. Since your lien was paid Aug 2007, without the withdrawal it can remain on your crs until Aug 2014. 

Message 7 of 17
ficus
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for the help. Would calling Experian be sufficient, or must I indeed address this matter in writing? I already found the address to which to send the request, but if I must write to them, in what form must I present my information? I understand that most requests are address in connection to recently pulled reports, no?

Message 8 of 17
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@ficus wrote:

Thank you all for the help. Would calling Experian be sufficient, or must I indeed address this matter in writing? I already found the address to which to send the request, but if I must write to them, in what form must I present my information? I understand that most requests are address in connection to recently pulled reports, no?

^^^

Yes write them for documentaton purposes and request a letter back detailing result. Yes, you would want to refernece the credit report # you are disputing and the specific lien. Information can be paragraph form, which I've used in the past.

I had a favorable result for a family member who disputed an account and the outcome I got in writing so in case in the future a check comes out negative because of htis deleted account, the family has proof it was deleted:

Dispute Status

Experian credit report prepared for

NAME DELETED

Your report number is

XXXX-XXXX-XX

Report date: January 22, 2013

Listed below are the current disputes we have received from you.

Results Due: 01/27/2013

Delivery Method: U.S. Mail

Credit Items

BANK NAME DELETED

Account Number: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Outcome: Deleted

(but then i follow up with a copy of the report to make sure it was deleted, I waited a few months t order a copy to review myself)

Hopefully you get the "deleted" result for yourself.

Good luck

Message 9 of 17
ficus
Regular Contributor

Thank you to everyone.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.