cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Liens--How long do they really appear on CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Liens--How long do they really appear on CR?

I'm confused after reading various threads that say 7 years from filing or 7-10 years from payment.  MyFico Support says in CA that it's 7 years from filing--and the MyFico Kit advised to dispute 10 year old liens with all 3 CRAs.  I did--TU came back with a report saying that it's 7 years from pay date, not the 10 year old filing date.  Does that mean paying it started the clock over?  Does anyone know the definitive answer--seems like I'm wasting my time disputing this on my CRs.  Thanks, I learn something new every time--thanks to everyone who shares what they've learned!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Tax Liens--How long do they really appear on CR?

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm confused after reading various threads that say 7 years from filing or 7-10 years from payment. MyFico Support says in CA that it's 7 years from filing--and the MyFico Kit advised to dispute 10 year old liens with all 3 CRAs. I did--TU came back with a report saying that it's 7 years from pay date, not the 10 year old filing date. Does that mean paying it started the clock over? Does anyone know the definitive answer--seems like I'm wasting my time disputing this on my CRs. Thanks, I learn something new every time--thanks to everyone who shares what they've learned!

To the best of my knowledge a state tax lien stays on reports 7 years from the date of satisfaction.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks--am I missing something when I read MyFico support on length of time negatives stay on file?  Why does the kit tell you to dispute it and ask to have it removed?

Public Records:

Tax liens remain for 7 years from the date filed if paid and remain indefinitely if not paid.

All judgments remain for 7 years from the date filed.

California State Residents Only:

All tax liens remain 7 years from the date filed.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

ljr8 wrote:
Thanks--am I missing something when I read MyFico support on length of time negatives stay on file?  Why does the kit tell you to dispute it and ask to have it removed?

Public Records:

Tax liens remain for 7 years from the date filed if paid and remain indefinitely if not paid.

Dare I say that myFICO got it wrong?  When all else fails, check the law.  The FCRA says "paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years."  So the filing date is irrelevant.  Someone else argued that the clock starts from date of release of of the lien, and that isn't necessarily the same as date of payment.  Unless there's some case law to that effect, that's not what the statute says.  I don't know about Cali.
Message 4 of 13
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks--am I missing something when I read MyFico support on length of time negatives stay on file? Why does the kit tell you to dispute it and ask to have it removed?

Public Records:

Tax liens remain for 7 years from the date filed if paid and remain indefinitely if not paid.

Dare I say that myFICO got it wrong? When all else fails, check the law. The FCRA says "paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years." So the filing date is irrelevant. Someone else argued that the clock starts from date of release of of the lien, and that isn't necessarily the same as date of payment. Unless there's some case law to that effect, that's not what the statute says. I don't know about Cali.

Satisfaction equals paid in full. That's the date the clock starts from.
Message 5 of 13
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks--am I missing something when I read MyFico support on length of time negatives stay on file? Why does the kit tell you to dispute it and ask to have it removed?

Public Records:

Tax liens remain for 7 years from the date filed if paid and remain indefinitely if not paid.

Dare I say that myFICO got it wrong? When all else fails, check the law. The FCRA says "paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years." So the filing date is irrelevant. Someone else argued that the clock starts from date of release of of the lien, and that isn't necessarily the same as date of payment. Unless there's some case law to that effect, that's not what the statute says. I don't know about Cali.

Yep!
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tuscani wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Public Records:

Yep!

That's what I thought, but I remember someone here posting otherwise, as if date of satisfaction were a different animal from PIF date.  Anyway, it's NOT filing date as stated in the excerpt (from FICO?) above.
Message 7 of 13
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

There certainly could be different reporting rules for tax liens in each state. I can't confirn whether or not what MyFICO has listed is correct or incorrect.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on what your definition of "is" is. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, sounds like the consensus is date of payment, not date of file.  So the message is don't pay, hope they forget about it??  MyFico wrong??  While I'm usually the forgiving sort, this is way too important to be inaccurate about, especially since the kits direct you to dispute 10 year old IRS liens "You should dispute this item. This item is old and can be removed according to the rules of the Federal Fair Credit Report Act." 

Should I just give up--think this is really bringing already low scores (avg. 677) down further.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.