cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Return Rejected - SSN Already Used . Possible ID Theft ?

tag
flapjack
Established Member

Tax Return Rejected - SSN Already Used . Possible ID Theft ?

Hi Everyone,

I attempted to e-file my tax return last week and it was rejected because a return had already been filed with my SSN. I contacted the vendor whom indicated many other users were having this issue but I did contact the IRS who put a fraud alert into their system, fill out an ID Theft form 14039 and send it to them along with my paper return. It will of course be months likely before I hear anything back from them.

I did research what the recommended steps to take are and aside from the ones mentioned, almost all say to do a credit freeze as well. I hesitate to do this because I will soon be applying for an auto loan, I already have a credit monitoring service that so far has indicated no problems, and I truly believe it probably is a software/data error somewhere between the vendor and the IRS. I decided last week not to do the freeze but I am having second thoughts. Today I saw a disturbing article about a man who did have someone else file a return using his SSN and it  went so far that a refund anticipation check was issued. Fortunately for him, the issuer thought it could be fraud and sent the check to his "old" address.

Given my circumstances, would you consider a freeze worth it ? I understand I can also file a more limited and temporary fraud alert. Would that be a better option ? How would either affect my attempt to get an auto loan which I will be doing over the next couple of months ?

This is also a little off topic, but does anyone have experience with legitimate ID theft discovered early via a monitoring service and what was the outcome ?

Thanks in Advance,

flapjack

[Fixed the link - Lel]

EX: 785 EQ: 759 TU: 760 (9/14 via MyFico)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax Return Rejected - SSN Already Used . Possible ID Theft ?

I am Having the Same Issue can you tell me what to do and what number to call

Thanks pv123

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am Having the Same Issue can you tell me what to do and what number to call

Thanks pv123

Have you filed your taxes in the past?

Message 3 of 4
flapjack
Established Member

Since I wrote my original post I have found out a lot more information. First off, it's happening a lot more people this year than in past years. It's also still not clear if it is truly ID theft or a problem with the IRS system glitch, if you read the many posts over the web on the subject. My return supposedly is due to be paid around the end of March according to the IRS "Where's my refund" sight. If that happens, then it would mean an IRS mistake, and not fraud.

Of course, my overall concern as it relates to this forum was should I do a credit freeze, on the chance that someone had stolen my identity. Since I have a CMS, I decided not to do that as I intend to apply for credit in the coming months. That's a choice you will need to make.

The IRS ID Theft hot line is 1-800-908-4490. Before you call, be aware that IRS will automatically flag your account for review. Some have suggested that heightens the chance of an audit. If you go through the process, they will ask you to submit a Form 14039 and submit it with your return. The form basically states you think you may have been a victim of ID theft and you are who you say you are and it requires that you submit a copy of your SSN and some form of official ID.

You will still have to file your return by mail either way, so you may choose to skip the previous step. The only benefit I see to calling and submitting the form with your return is that you may shave a few weeks off the resolution time if you truly are an ID theft victim. If it was just an IRS glitch, you may be subjecting yourself to needless review that won't change the amount of time it takes  to get your refund.

If there was no fraud, you return/refund  should be processed within a few weeks of the time it takes to file electronically. On the other hand, if there is fraud, most accounts I've read suggest it may take months to resolve. I've heard of people getting their refunds in the November time frame during a given year. Hopefully, that doesn't happen to you and it turns out to be a simple IRS mistake.

flapjack

EX: 785 EQ: 759 TU: 760 (9/14 via MyFico)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.