Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax lien vanished, 55 point increase

tag
cem13
Established Contributor

Re: Tax lien vanished, 55 point increase

@dman23 wrote:

I just learned that it's not the IRS or respective state that reports a tax lien to the CRA's, rather the CRA's get this information as a matter of public record. I guess technically one with a tax lien could luck out if CRA doesn't do a public recodr search on an individual.

I am in this situation.  I had a State tax lein from 2009 and I paid it off in 2011.  The State forwarded a removal request to the county and it was removed.  TU and EQ picked it up and removed it from my report.  EX would not remove it.  I forwarded them a screen shot of the county website under my name and address with "No Returned Results"  EX updated my file to and entered "Lein Removed" but kept the negative tradeline. 

EX is my highest score so I do not think it is affecting me much.  It is scheduled to drop off in 15 months anyway.  During my recent mortage, the UW had me write a letter so explain why I had the lein.  I explained everything to her and she was surprised that EX would not removed it.  Nevertheless, my written statement was good enough and I received the mortgage anyway.

Summary: My tax lein is listed as "Removed" but still remains on my EX without any harm to my score.  A Mortgage UW thought it was unusual and requested the I write a letter explaining the situation and I received the mortgage.  So overall, it did not hurt me.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 31 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATS!   That is a great boost.  I just satisfied my state tax lien and submitted to have it removed from all 3 CB.  I cant wait to see how it changes my score.

Message 32 of 54
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CONGRATS!   That is a great boost.  I just satisfied my state tax lien and submitted to have it removed from all 3 CB.  I cant wait to see how it changes my score.

a letter of just "satisfied" wont get it removed.  It needs to have the wording of expungment, withdrawl, etc... Just paid/released wont do it..sorry!. Now..you can request the state to withdrawl, and ask for a letter, or have them contact the County clerk where the lien was filed, and have them remove it. It needs to be removed at its source....where it was filed.  Once its removed from the database, and you have confirmation of that, then you can dispute it with the CRA, which they wont be able to verify, if its no longer in public record to verify. 

Im currently trying to get this done myself at the court level. 

CAP...Congrats!!! Im SOOO jelly!!!  Nice bump there!Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the information.  I will try contacting the state to see if they will give me a letter for withdrawl.  On the CA Franchise Tax Board websitel the say i have to contact the CB to have it removed.  They dont mention the letter of withdrawl.  i hope they are willing to give one.  If anyone else has had experinece with CA Franchise Tax Board let me know. 

Message 34 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 35 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Congratulations! That's a nice jump in score!

On the bright side, now you can complain about how you can't get that last point to get 800 Smiley Happy

799 looks much cooler than 800. Smiley LOL

Okay, I lied. 800 is cooler. icon_biggrin.gif

Message 36 of 54
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Well done. How about a happy dance. 

Smiley

Sorry, I can't get him to dance. Ok now that's the way you do it.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 37 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

icon_dancingbanana.gif

Message 38 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice jump.

RE: State Tax Liens (paid) can any one advice/pm me how to get a letter of withdrawal or what not to remove early from CB's? EQ deleted it for what ever reason but TU and EX still reporting it filed Nov 2010 and paid Dec 2010.

Message 39 of 54
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@dman23 wrote:

One other thing on tax liens. As far as a Federal Tax Lien, once one satisfies the lien one can file Form 12277 to have lien withdrawn.

I'm sure individual states have forms or procedures to have state tax liens removed.

In New York, once bill is paid in full, the Department of Taxation and FInance will notify the Department of State and the County Clerk and lien will be removed.

I just learned that it's not the IRS or respective state that reports a tax lien to the CRA's, rather the CRA's get this information as a matter of public record. I guess technically one with a tax lien could luck out if CRA doesn't do a public recodr search on an individual.

Some states have procedures in place to have liens removed but most states don't. States can use tax liens as revenue generating business for their politically connected friends. They purposely try and keep the lien removal process murky so you have to hire an attorney and go through the courts to have a State tax lien removed.

The State of Ohio has a 25 year statute of limitations on their tax liens. Yes, you heard me correctly, 25 year SOL on tax liens!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 40 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.