cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible possibly accurate credit..what can you do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Terrible possibly accurate credit..what can you do?

I recently received some Suze Orman's credit software as a gift and checked two of the agencies scores which confirmed my fears that I have terrible credit. The problem is, I don't know what I can do about the bad items already on my cr. I'm not sure if any of my late payments could be desputed as inaccurate since the items are several years old I have not kept records of anything or honestly don't remember. Also many of the accounts I got in college ended up in collections, some charged off some I payed years late. I noticed in the software there was an option to ask the credit agencys to remove dulipate items. Would these accounts that have been transfered to collection agencies count as duplicates? I've checked out the goodwill letters which seem like a good idea at least for the accounts I eventually paid. My credit score is 507 I'm really embarrassed but have no idea what to do. It will be another 3 or 4 years for some items to fall off and even more for a few recent late payments.

I also have a large student loan I've paid on time every month since graduation but I'm not sure if that balance is hurting or helping me??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message Edited by PrincessP on 08-29-2007 09:08 AM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Terrible possibly accurate credit..what can you do?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you, now I know 507 isn't the worst possible score but I'm still not sure what to do about my situation..
Message 3 of 6
sl
Established Contributor

Welcome.

I would pull the other Credit report, go over each with a fine tooth comb.

For collection accounts - write a DV letter.
For missed payments try writing a GW Letter
Dispute anything that is not accurate on your report.

That is a good starting point.

Good luck!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks I will do that Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

PrincessP wrote:
I recently received some Suze Orman's credit software as a gift and checked two of the agencies scores which confirmed my fears that I have terrible credit. The problem is, I don't know what I can do about the bad items already on my cr. I'm not sure if any of my late payments could be desputed as inaccurate since the items are several years old I have not kept records of anything or honestly don't remember. Also many of the accounts I got in college ended up in collections, some charged off some I payed years late. I noticed in the software there was an option to ask the credit agencys to remove dulipate items. Would these accounts that have been transfered to collection agencies count as duplicates? I've checked out the goodwill letters which seem like a good idea at least for the accounts I eventually paid. My credit score is 507 I'm really embarrassed but have no idea what to do. It will be another 3 or 4 years for some items to fall off and even more for a few recent late payments.

I also have a large student loan I've paid on time every month since graduation but I'm not sure if that balance is hurting or helping me??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message Edited by PrincessP on 08-29-2007 09:08 AM

Do not be embarrassed we are all working on or credit, you are not alone.

We need more info. on what credit you have now in good standing AND all CO with dates...just post them in here.....by going by correct dates we can try to advise you what needs to be done.

Alwys know your CRTP and SOL   here are some threads that could help you

what is CRTP and SOL

SOL

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.