Contributor
antredd67

The WaMu $30,000 Visa Platinum Offer I applied for

I found out that Wamu would run my Transunion report if I applied for their up to $30,000 visa platinum credit card  with 0% interest for 12 months offer. Since my Transunion's score is 666 (what a famous number),  I applied just to see what would they give me since BofA gave me a $22,500 line of credit with a 13.99% interest rate back in October 2005.  Wamu approved me, but with a smaller line of $3000. I was hoping to transfer my higher B of A account to the new Wamu.
   I told them to close this account because this new account being opened would hurt me, and I already have a Providian Visa card that Wamu just merged with a $12,000 credit limit. 
Valued Contributor
TheNewWorldMan

I do hope you're using these cards as a strategic tool to...

I do hope you're using these cards as a strategic tool to improve your FICO, and not for actual credit, especially given their four and five-digit limits. Please tell me you're not actually looking to CHARGE that amount...
- - - -
in a credit-scoring postnuclear Stone Age...
Jessacctng

Be careful

I know that the simulator states that you can increase your score by applying for credit. but I think what they are really trying to say that if all your credit cards limits vs how much you actually owe is I believe less than half of what your limits are than your score climbs.
If you open a new card don't use it or if you use it don't exceed half of the limit-this drops your score. Right now I opened an American express -I called them because their balance transfer program online did not allow me to put what I wanted to transfer***caution****. I paid off all the other cards ___****Leave them open but don't use them!!!******* I then am pouring all the money I can to pay off this other credit card to less than half so my score can grow. Pay more than the minimum! Hope this helps!
Contributor
antredd67

The Wamu Offer

I am not using the cards as credit, in fact  I  have been paying cash for everything since I fully understand how charging things on your credit card hurts your fico score when your UTI isn't below 30%.
   Since I was basically approved  for the Wamu Visa card, I guess I could asked them to combine the new card with my older Providian Visa, increasing my overall line of credit from $12,000 to $15,000.  I didn't want to chance it  fearing that Wamu would have wanted me to keep this new card open (which I don't need) for a few months.
Moderator Emeritus
Brammy

I do know that WaMu is current;y in the process of upgrad...

I do know that WaMu is current;y in the process of upgrading their brand cards.  MY WaMu was just upgraded to a cash back rewards.  It may be worth keeping the card for that perk if yu can use it for daily expenses and PIF each month.
Contributor
antredd67

Thanks Brammy

I really enjoy reading your posts.  I went on and closed this new WAMU account as soon as I found out what the limit was ($3,000 that wouldn't help me pay off my BofA balance in full).  My whole point for applying for this card was to save on the 13.99% interest rate on my BofA line of credit to get the 0% on the Wamu card for the first 12 months.

Without thinking though, I probably should have merged this account with my existing PRovidian Visa card since they both carry the same Visa logo, and 9 times out of 10, I am sure they would have approved it, and I would have earned a $3000 line of credit increase.  But me not wanting a new credit file on my report, I told them to close it and send me a letter stating that the account was closed.
Contributor
antredd67

The Wamu offer/running my TU report

After Wamu ran my TU report, I was dinged 4 points, I dropped from 666 down to 662.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+