cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The affect of negative items being dropped from the credit report.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The affect of negative items being dropped from the credit report.

As of yesterday, a collections item (NCO) was removed from my credit file -- both, Transunion and Equifax. This is good news! Now, whats the significance of the account being dropped? How significant will my credit score increase? Will it improve dramatically? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The affect of negative items being dropped from the credit report.

Welcome to the forums!

Answer is: it depends? Do you have any other collections reporting? Do you have any lates showing 90 days or later and if so when? Do you have any 30 or 60 day lates inside the past couple of years? Do you have any PRs reporting like judgments, liens, BKs, etc.?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Within the past couple of years, No! I did have charge offs in 05, but that will soon drop and I'm making monthly payments, on time, on my credit cards and car loan. So hopefully, I will see an increase. Feedback needed! Thanks

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've gathered the vague rule of thumb is that you only see a large jump in score once all of your serious negatives are gone.

Message 4 of 7
dwhanc00
New Contributor

I just had a 30, 60, and 90 removed from an account; 30's from two others and it increased 9 points.  They were from 2007.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree with the thrust of prior responders.

The main FICO score improvements come when you move from a "dirty" to a "clean" payment history category, or "bucket."

While deletion of old derogs helps, it is just as important what still remains as is what is deleted.  You remain in a "dirty" scoring category until all major derogs are no longer in your CR, and you dont have multiple derogs remaining.  That is when improvements in the other categories, such as % util, begin to carry more impact.

The CO from 2005 remains as a major drog until 7 1/2 from the DOFD on the OC account.

It all depends on the overall content of your credit file.  No general estimates are possible.

Message 6 of 7
skipwin1
Established Member

You should tell him not to get excited. In fact his score will probably drop. Removal of a negative means nothing. I just had 2 negs removed and my score dropped.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.