Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The concept of "time" and how it affects my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The concept of "time" and how it affects my credit report

I apologize if this has been discussed in great detail but I can't seem to find information about problems I have dealing with my credit currently. I think I may have read too many articles and posts at this point and am a bit overwhelmed. I'm also a huge fan of message boards and I know how annoying repeat posts can be so again, so sorry if that's the case here.

My credit scores are:
598 Equifax
647 Experian
665 TransUnion

I've read the Scoring 101 thread and have a good idea of why these might vary so greatly. I have several errors on my credit report and a few very old collections. I'm not sure how to attack these, which ones to address first, if there are any I shouldn't address at all, etc. I have finally realized that my biggest problem is that after I started having credit problems about 5 years ago, I just stopped using credit all together. If any of these things make ANY sense to anyone, I would great appreciate advice for a plan of attack.

My report shows:

1) TWO Citibank accounts with different account #s and identical credit limits and identical open dates ($1600). One has a payment history with a few late payments in 2003, one has no history at all. I only remember actually ever having ONE account. Both accounts show me as the Sole Account Owner. One says Account closed by credit granter, one says it's still open (this is the one with no payment history) I called Citibank and I have no such account

2) A Banana Republic account with a $1000 limit that shows open. Banana Republic has no such card on file for me. I remember having this card, never used it.

3) A Macys card that was settled in 2003 shows that I still owe $689 on it, charge-off. I called Macys this morning and confirmed that this is incorrect and it should not be listed with a balance due. They are sending me a letter to prove this. Did I do the right thing? And should I report this to the bureaus? I am concerned because of the age of the bill.

4) Express account showing still open. This account was closed as far as I know, I am having a hard time getting a hold of Express.

5. AT&T/Palisades I had an AT&T cell phone in 2001 if I remember correctly. I had a credit of $300 because they messed up, the next month I got a BILL for that amount. I tried to correct this for 6 months but AT&T's computers weren't working for 6 months (Yup, that's what they said) I have no idea what is going on with this now. It is listed under closed accounts. It was last reported 02/2007. I have no other information on it in this report. It is the only account that is listed as past due. Macys is not. This is confusing me.

6. One medical bill from 04/2006 for $191. I don't think I did the insurance correctly. I paid this this morning. I hope this was correct

7. Cable bill for $17 from 08/2005 thanks to an innocent mistake of an ex. Paid it this morning. Hope this was ok too.

8. Bank overdraft from 08/2004.

9. Another Medical Bill from same doctor as above $142, was planning on paying this too but one is at a collection agency and this one just says Medical so didn't know where to pay it. Still don't.

10. Bank overdraft fee from 05/03. This was originally $471 but somehow the balance left is $162, no idea why. I am most confused about the "let sleeping dogs lie" and feel it might be better to not pay some of these until the 7.5 years is over? I am getting a car loan and already have a high interest rate and don't want to make it worse. Thank you so much for anything info you can provide

Message Edited by BuckeyeEC on 08-22-2007 07:11 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The concept of "time" and how it affects my credit report

Can you edit your post... more paragraphs?Smiley Happy

Message Edited by fused111 on 08-22-2007 04:11 PM
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I actually mentioned in my post that I did read it. I also apologize for my big block post! I must have needed to use breaks, I will correct that
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do so many things I read make me believe that if I paid all of these my credit score will actually go quite a bit down since they are so old?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

BuckeyeEC wrote:
I apologize if this has been discussed in great detail but I can't seem to find information about problems I have dealing with my credit currently. I think I may have read too many articles and posts at this point and am a bit overwhelmed. I'm also a huge fan of message boards and I know how annoying repeat posts can be so again, so sorry if that's the case here.

My credit scores are:
598 Equifax
647 Experian
665 TransUnion

I've read the Scoring 101 thread and have a good idea of why these might vary so greatly. I have several errors on my credit report and a few very old collections. I'm not sure how to attack these, which ones to address first, if there are any I shouldn't address at all, etc. I have finally realized that my biggest problem is that after I started having credit problems about 5 years ago, I just stopped using credit all together. If any of these things make ANY sense to anyone, I would great appreciate advice for a plan of attack.

My report shows:

1) TWO Citibank accounts with different account #s and identical credit limits and identical open dates ($1600). One has a payment history with a few late payments in 2003, one has no history at all. I only remember actually ever having ONE account. Both accounts show me as the Sole Account Owner. One says Account closed by credit granter, one says it's still open (this is the one with no payment history) I called Citibank and I have no such account

2) A Banana Republic account with a $1000 limit that shows open. Banana Republic has no such card on file for me. I remember having this card, never used it.

3) A Macys card that was settled in 2003 shows that I still owe $689 on it, charge-off. I called Macys this morning and confirmed that this is incorrect and it should not be listed with a balance due. They are sending me a letter to prove this. Did I do the right thing? And should I report this to the bureaus? I am concerned because of the age of the bill.

4) Express account showing still open. This account was closed as far as I know, I am having a hard time getting a hold of Express.

5. AT&T/Palisades I had an AT&T cell phone in 2001 if I remember correctly. I had a credit of $300 because they messed up, the next month I got a BILL for that amount. I tried to correct this for 6 months but AT&T's computers weren't working for 6 months (Yup, that's what they said) I have no idea what is going on with this now. It is listed under closed accounts. It was last reported 02/2007. I have no other information on it in this report. It is the only account that is listed as past due. Macys is not. This is confusing me.

6. One medical bill from 04/2006 for $191. I don't think I did the insurance correctly. I paid this this morning. I hope this was correct

7. Cable bill for $17 from 08/2005 thanks to an innocent mistake of an ex. Paid it this morning. Hope this was ok too.

8. Bank overdraft from 08/2004.

9. Another Medical Bill from same doctor as above $142, was planning on paying this too but one is at a collection agency and this one just says Medical so didn't know where to pay it. Still don't.

10. Bank overdraft fee from 05/03. This was originally $471 but somehow the balance left is $162, no idea why. I am most confused about the "let sleeping dogs lie" and feel it might be better to not pay some of these until the 7.5 years is over? I am getting a car loan and already have a high interest rate and don't want to make it worse. Thank you so much for anything info you can provide

Message Edited by BuckeyeEC on 08-22-2007 07:11 PM

#1   file dispute as not yours (both account # ) They will tell you whats what after correction
#2  leave it  it is positave TL for 10 years
#3  dispute as inaccurate
#4  I don't understand what express is
#5  dispute as not mine........watch out for Palisades they are real scumbags....send a DV & tell them that you want full documentation including your signiture and full account history!! CMRRR  ALSO add all communication is to be in writing....DO NOT SIGN IT  just type all info. from your report & type your name & address.
#6 and #7   this was a mistake...it can stay on you CR for 7 years...you should have gotten a PFD...call and  ask if they will delete  if they will get it in writting OR write them a GW
#8  sorry I know nothing about bank overdrafts  BUT maybe you can ask for PFD
#9 NEVER TALK TO A CA!!!!!!!
 Talk to Dr. office & ask for PFD  if they say yes  get it in writting BEFORE you pay
    READ PM
#10 sorry no idea
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Express Card is issued by WFNNB. I had mine closed because I got 90 days behind. I called them after a year and a half to see if they would remove that, but they offered to reinstate my account without a credit pull. So, i went ahead with that and reaquired my old history from this account.

Message Edited by Irvin on 08-23-2007 08:45 AM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow, HD! Thanks so much!! I had an idea of what I could do but didn't know what to apply to what. I'll take your advice and send FFCC a GW but I'm sure its too late. Oh well, whatever I can get corrected is for the better, can't expect to win them all. I'd be happy with one or two little victories.

So, is there a thread I can read about paying off very old debts and how they affect my score. Ultimately, I want to pay off everything (or have it deleted of course) but if this will be bad, I would like to do these over time instead of all at once.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.