cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The first victim from freezing my credit - ME!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first victim from freezing my credit - ME!

Just tried to sign up for an online account with the SSA only to find that I can't because they do a pull on my credit to get identifying information. I'm told the only resolution is to make an appointment at the SSA and do the paperwork manually. Waah!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: The first victim from freezing my credit - ME!

Yeah, the Social Security Administration is very slow & cautious about doing things online - but good for them, if only Equifax had such good security.

I get a SSA benefit payment on the 4th Wednesday of each month. I've had it going to Bank of America but decided to switch the direct deposit to a local credit union & close BoA. So I go online to ssa.gov. You can add the option to have them send you a text message w/code when you try to logon to your account, and I added that option some time ago. So I enter the code & get in, and go to change the DD. This was on 9/13, and it asked me if I wanted to start the change with the Nov. 22 payment, or on Dec. 27 payment??? I chose November, but after logging out I thought about & called my local SSA office. Got through to a live person in less than 5 minutes, explain what I want to do and ask if I come in with ID, SSA card & checkbook if I can change the DD sooner. Rep tells me she can do that over the phone. Yeah, I had to answer a bunch of ID question which I was happy to do, and within 5 minutes she had it changed starting this month, 9/27!

So make that appointment at your local office and they'll probably have you online account faster than if you could have done it online. As I recall, I did set my account up online, but then had to wait for a US Postal Service letter with a code to activate it.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The first victim from freezing my credit - ME!

It's a heck of a wait at my SSA office, but they are actually up to speed technically and the workers are very helpful. Mind the hours; don't go 1/2 hour from close and be expected to be helped that day, that sort of thing. 

And yes - freezing your credit file is a PAIN and a half. Absolutely, I agree. It restricts your movement and it costs you actual money. But imagine the consequences if your credit were unfrozen and something happened... we do it to protect ourselves.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.