Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "Verify Identity" Questions

tag
clumsymoon
Valued Member

The "Verify Identity" Questions

DH was checking his credit report through the annualcreditreport site and he got to the part where they ask you questions to verify your identity. One of the questions was:

Who owns land in Anytown, IN?
A. Random Name
B. Random Name
C. Random Name
D. Step-mother's Name

He knew the answer, but we are just trying to figure out why this would be one of his questions. He is not blood-related to this person (or his step-dad for that matter) and he was not a co-signer for anything in his MIL's name for this or any other accounts. He was able to view the credit report that had this as a question and there was not anything out of the ordinary, but we are just wondering why this would happen.

Thanks in advance!

Starting Score: 641
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 730

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
creditFiend
Established Contributor

Re: The "Verify Identity" Questions

@margotandzoey wrote:

DH was checking his credit report through the annualcreditreport site and he got to the part where they ask you questions to verify your identity. One of the questions was:

Who owns land in Anytown, IN?
A. Random Name
B. Random Name
C. Random Name
D. Step-mother's Name

He knew the answer, but we are just trying to figure out why this would be one of his questions. He is not blood-related to this person (or his step-dad for that matter) and he was not a co-signer for anything in his MIL's name for this or any other accounts. He was able to view the credit report that had this as a question and there was not anything out of the ordinary, but we are just wondering why this would happen.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have 'the' answer, but you're not alone.  DH & myself, still get verification questions regarding our ex-spouses, & their current addresses.  Just crazy!  We have been married going on 16 years end of this month.  Why in the world would they be relevent?  

Somehow, at some point, the bureaus find a connection maybe based on past addresses (this is an assumption).  Nothing to do with the present.Smiley Indifferent

I've had questions pop up with my ex-spouse's, grandmother's address.  Never ever lived there!  I answer it since I know it, but in no way it relates to what's listed in my CR.

If you find a logical explanation, I've love to know about it also.  I've had to go through extra verification before, due to 'not' answering correctly based on 'their' suggestions.  Go figure!!  

**edited to say... If your DH & stepmom have had similar addresses, that could be it.  Or perhaps it is the connection by his Dad being married to his stepmom that assumes blood relation.. idk, lol

Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 2 of 7
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I ocassionally get questions like that involving people who used to live at some of the same addresses I did and I know the answers to some of those by pure chance (still got some of their spam mail while living there).

Message 3 of 7
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Yeah chances are its just based on the Address(s) in your profile, and the people who have lived at that location in the CB database.

I've seen the print out of Credit Reports viewed by banks, and they have a "inquires in past 6 months by this #SSN", and a "inquires by this address in past 6 months" listed. So there is some sort of seperate database just for addresses. Also on Your credit report you can see businesses who have used this address.

Message 4 of 7
clumsymoon
Valued Member

That makes sense; he did live at that address when he was in high school (almost 15 years ago!). So silly but thanks for the replies!

Starting Score: 641
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 730

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@margotandzoey wrote:

That makes sense; he did live at that address when he was in high school (almost 15 years ago!). So silly but thanks for the replies!

Most likely based on this since I get questions about places I have lived in before. The most frustrating one for me was a question about the year of construction of a house I rented many years back. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@margotandzoey wrote:

Most likely based on this since I get questions about places I have lived in before. The most frustrating one for me was a question about the year of construction of a house I rented many years back. 

Yeah, I've gotten questions about a PO Box that I used for less than a year in 1990. It's still sitting on one of the reports though, Equifax I think.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.