cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The uncertainy of time opted out from FA 90.

tag
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

The uncertainy of time opted out from FA 90.

I'm sure there's a few out there that know the difficulty pegging this answer down to a specific "grey area," in regards to time.

As my ninety day FA has run it's course on all three CRA's, I've begun digging into the specifics of each CRA, as to how long before they start reintroducing me into their "info list" sales.

I've seen a variety of dates; five months, two years...etc..etc, with no specifics. With every one specific answer, I find two others that contradict the predecessor.

Bumpety bump bump bump....Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The uncertainy of time opted out from FA 90.

An opt-out and FA are two different things. I think you can have a FA reporting but still be opted in for certain junk mail, preapprovals, etc. Now maybe some creditors will see that FA and not extend offers of credit, make it harder to apply, etc. I suppose I could be wrong in that CRAs will opt you out too along with the FA, but I dunno.

Both DW and I opted back in and we started seeing softs right away. Within weeks we were receiving offers of credit. Prior to our opt-out (due to a mortgage-then-to-be) we had preapprovals showing within some of our creditors, but those preapprovals largely disappeared following the opt-out and most never returned despite higher score, better credit, etc. Probably was for the best.

Message 2 of 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I'm definitely out on all three, as part of the FA I requested. Believe me, I'm not regretting the opt out. I'll be just fine surviving without preapprovals/checkout softs.

It's just incredible that there's really no specific set date. Low end is five months, up to two years, per a handful of posts/CRA help sections, and general credit board chats.

Edit: Identity theft led me to the FA action.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your fraud alert was apparently only an intitial alert.

If you send a copy of a police report to the CRA, you can request an extended fraud alert.

Message 4 of 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I didn't want the extended, but I did the blocking, just in case of any future "hand off," since the one contested is good at playing dirty.

My junk mail is down to nothing now though...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.