Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about AMEX, but.......

tag
dragonheartt
Valued Member

Thinking about AMEX, but.......

I know they mostly pull EX, but can pull EQ.  My EX score is 680, with a couple of 30 day lates and a 60 day late from late 2004.  That is the only baddies!  I'm running about 40% utilization and looking at getting a good card to drop that.  I have paid off several accounts, basicallly because I didn't want to use them with my wife out of work.  I didn't realize at the time that closing these accounts would do more harm than good. So, how good of a chance do you think I would have with the AMEX?  If I apply, should it be for Gold Delta Skymiles or the Starwoods card?

Dragon
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thinking about AMEX, but.......

dragonheartt wrote:
I know they mostly pull EX, but can pull EQ.  My EX score is 680, with a couple of 30 day lates and a 60 day late from late 2004.  That is the only baddies!  I'm running about 40% utilization and looking at getting a good card to drop that.  I have paid off several accounts, basicallly because I didn't want to use them with my wife out of work.  I didn't realize at the time that closing these accounts would do more harm than good. So, how good of a chance do you think I would have with the AMEX?  If I apply, should it be for Gold Delta Skymiles or the Starwoods card?

Dragon

You should be approved for a Delta skymiles and Starwoods.  But you should try and GW the lates first and see if they get deleted and bring your util down to 1-9%.  These actions might later qualify you for a better Amex card, perhaps a Blue or Blue Cash.
Message 2 of 6
dragonheartt
Valued Member

Goodwill letters were sent last week.  Chase was one of them, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I guess giving the letters about a month to see if I get a response wouldn't hurt.  Thanks for the response.

Dragon
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

dragonheartt wrote:
My EX score is 680, with a couple of 30 day lates and a 60 day late from late 2004.
how good of a chance do you think I would have with the AMEX?

With a 680 EX, if you have no defaulted AMEX CCs in your past, and no BK on your CRs, you should have no trouble getting a Delta. With a 680, I'd recommend you try for Blue as well. If you apply same day, odds are good you'll get at most 1 pull per CRA--likely only EX and maybe also TU.

Message 4 of 6
dragonheartt
Valued Member

Noah_Bodie wrote:

With a 680 EX, if you have no defaulted AMEX CCs in your past, and no BK on your CRs, you should have no trouble getting a Delta. With a 680, I'd recommend you try for Blue as well. If you apply same day, odds are good you'll get at most 1 pull per CRA--likely only EX and maybe also TU.

I'm alittle confused, is it the plain Delta Card or the Gold Delta that I should apply for?

Dragon
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta Gold.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.