Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is HORRIBLE!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is HORRIBLE!!!

I set up an automatic payment with a company.  They told me that it would take a month to have it start debiting.  Obviously, I sent them a payment in the mail.  I was pushing the limit anyway due to some recent financial difficulites.  The other company accepted mailed payment AND debited my account.  My mortgage check bounced!!  Before I knew anything, my account deficit snowballed due to the overdraft fees.  Will the mortgage company count this as late?  They have not contacted me as of yet.  OMG!!!  I will call them right away...I am SICK!!!!!!!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This is HORRIBLE!!!

definitely call them and explain the situation to them!
Message 2 of 6
ah32
Frequent Contributor

Call the company and have them reverse the auto payment.  Tell them you were instructed to send payment until the auto payment was set up.  Call your mortgage company and explain what happened and tell them you will send out payment immediately once the reversal takes place.  Also, call your bank and explain the situation.  If they haven't reversed fees for you in the past, ask them to reverse the overdrafts as a one time courtesy.  If the 1st company doesn't reverse the auto payment, call your bank and say it was unauthorized.  Technically, you did agree to the auto payment, but not until the next month's payment.  My two cents...
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the mortgage company.  Right now, my account still shows current, but obviously, that can change at any time.  The other company is not excepting responsibility so far, but I do have a call in for a "supervisor". I'll see how far that will get me. I will not have funds myself until 8/17 and I promised to pay then without fail, but sooner if I can get this resolved.  The girl at the mortgage company did say that is was obvious I was bummed about the thirty day mark and encouraged mw to write a good will letter IF it went thirty days and WHEN I got caught up.  I guess my hopeful plans for a refi and just gone down the tubes unless EVERYTHING gets resolved.  I am simply sick, sick, sick.  I am afraid to tell DH as he is not keen on automatic debits to begin with.  I did not discuss this with him, but went ahead and did it to try and be on time.  I guess being on time for one got me screwed on the other.  Just my luck. Thanks for everyone'e replies.  Just keep your fingers crossed for me, ok?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Daytona18,

Tell him because if you don't and when it comes time for the refi and he gets the news from the lender or broker, he is going to really be disappointed that you didn't tell him and that you knew.  Don't let this cause problems in your marriage.  Though he wasn't excited about you doing it, I am sure he could understand why you did and that none of this was your fault.

Get names for everyone that you talk to with these companies because its easy to say that I talked to a 100 people today and I don't know remember talking to you.  For the girl at the mtg. company, see if you can get an account manager or someone to hear your story and ask if could get a guarantee in writing if necessary regarding the now late payment.

Keep calling the supervisor.  Do you have a name?  Leave messages so that he/she will know how urgent this is for you or ask for their immediate supervisor.  Persistence boo, persistence.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that you will make progress with the mortgage company, and I'm sure that they understand and will work with you. Things like this happen quite often. Personally I've never been fond of auto-payments for that reason too. Just keep at it and I'm sure you'll find someone at the company sympathetic to the situation, I mean they'd pretty much have to be inhuman to not be (okay...I may have discredited my own point there, since we are all so fond of our respective lenders)

As far as the issue with your husband goes, I agree with everyone else. Be honest, it was a good faith effort on your part to do the right thing, I'm sure he will understand. But whatever you do, don't effect your personal life with business, because bills and stuff are just that business. Family comes first, this mortgage company issue and automatic payments to the company will blow over in a few weeks. However if you hide something from your spouse, that's an issue you will be living with for years. Be honest and I'm sure there is nothing that you two can't work out together.

My 2 cents, and I'm sure you'll be just fine. You're doing the right thing =)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.