Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time frame for a debt to be reported to CRA's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time frame for a debt to be reported to CRA's

I just found out I had a bill I didn't know I had. It is is collections but it is not reporting on my credit report. Can a creditor or a collection agency report a debt to the CRA's that is almost 2 years old? I never received a bill in the mail. How long do they have to report the debt? I tried to find some answers on the internet but could find nothing. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time frame for a debt to be reported to CRA's

@Anonymous wrote:

I just found out I had a bill I didn't know I had. It is is collections but it is not reporting on my credit report. Can a creditor or a collection agency report a debt to the CRA's that is almost 2 years old? I never received a bill in the mail. How long do they have to report the debt? I tried to find some answers on the internet but could find nothing. Thanks!

A creditor can report any debt right up to the expiration of the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period). The CRTP is generally 7-7.5 years depending on the type of negative.

Edited to include the word "can". That helps to clarify my words.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A creditor report any debt right up to the expiration of the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period). The CRTP is generally 7-7.5 years depending on the type of negative.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

+1

Message 3 of 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Setser - I know you said you didn't know you had the bill, but if you know the debt is valid you may want to call the CA and see if they will accept payment BEFORE they report it to the credit bureaus. In other words Pay not to report. It's much easier than trying to get them to Pay for delete or hoping for a goodwill.

On the other hand if you are unsure of the validity of the debt - you may want to follow the normal DV route. Good Luck.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+!

The FCRA only requires that information reported must not knowinly be inaccurate, and that once reported, it be updated if necessary to maintain its accuracy.  It places no restrictions on when information must be or cant be reported.  Later reporting does not affect the credit report exclusion date of an item, as that date is pegged to the date of occurance of the adverse information, and not to the date it is reported to the CRA.

That even includes reporting after the expiration of the credit report exclusion date.  Information can still be reported after expiration of those dates.  It is up to the CRAs to monitor the relevant credit reporting exclusion date and thereafter ensure its exclusion from credit reports they issue.  It is not a reporting limitation on the creditor or debt collector.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a few things on the bill that we didn't know he had done. When knew he was having a CT scan done on his back but there are three more we didn't know of. I guess that's the hospital's way of trying to get a few extra thousand dollars out of you. We are going to pay the hospital directly. Thanks for everyone's input!!! It's much appreciated!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.