Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title Issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Title Issue

How do I add my father to the title to my house?  He is going to be staying with us and is retired and I hear that I can get some type of exemption for him being a senior citizen and all.  Is this true?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Title Issue

myhearts07 wrote:
How do I add my father to the title to my house?  He is going to be staying with us and is retired and I hear that I can get some type of exemption for him being a senior citizen and all.  Is this true?

I haven't heard of an exemptions (federal)  you might want to check with your state.

If im wrong about FED. I want to know!
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may be more state than federal. This is more for tax purposes I can claim him and get an exemption on my tax bill.  IF this is true, I hear that I could get as much as $3k off my taxes. I need all I can get.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

myhearts07 wrote:
This may be more state than federal. This is more for tax purposes I can claim him and get an exemption on my tax bill.  IF this is true, I hear that I could get as much as $3k off my taxes. I need all I can get.

Many states have different laws dealing with seniors...before you do anything check with your state & be sure that you understand completely what the law says.I live in a small town that has a senior center with a phone #. OMG they are full of info.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

you should check with your state AND county.  Most counties will give an exemption to senior owners of real property.  Additionally, your state (CA in my case) may give a rebate yearly (if applied for).  Again, for CA you should check with the Franchise Tax Board (or whomever you pay your state taxes to) for the County you can call the Assessor's office for you particular county.  You should ask if they look at how the senior person hold title.  You may only be able to convey all of your interest to your parent.  If that is not the case for your area you should check to see if you can still get the exemption AND rebate even if you reserve unto your parent a Life Estate.  That would be best in the case of an elderly parent because there would never be any problem upon the death of the person because at the establishment of record of that persons death their interest is extinguished entirely and it is generally considered less that "fee title", which is what you hodl to your property.
Message 6 of 10
cgmiller63
Contributor

A word of caution, I don’t know if your dad is on Medicare, but should you dad get ill, become hospitalized, and God forbid, passes away.  Medicare can come after the estate for reimbursement of the medical bills.  If your dad is on title to your house, your house will be part of the estate.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't know that, thanks for letting me know.
Message 8 of 10
cgmiller63
Contributor

We found out Medicare secrets when my father got ill.  Because he had some money in the bank (his retirement fund) Medicare refused to cover the bills.  It was a mess.  Luckily the house was in my brother’s name.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you conveyed a Life Estate to your father there should be no one would could attach his estate as it is less than fee title if and when he would pass he interest would be extinguished automatically.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.