cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Pay or not to Pay in Full a Personal Loan this month?

tag
m3rge
Regular Contributor

To Pay or not to Pay in Full a Personal Loan this month?

Hi everyone!

I currently pay a loan for the amount of 3,000 dollars. The loan was given on march 2012 by a credit union and the purpose was for credit history. I have perfect payments and this week I have the capacity to pay in full. Right now I own a mortgage, walmart store card and the loan, 'm wondering if paying in full the loan would benefit me somehow. I pulled yesterday my annual credit report and there are no baddies, collections, etc and my current TU FICO Score is 707 (I don't know eq and exp never bought the scores)

I plan on buying a car at the end of this year or maybe on 2014, there's no hurry at the moment.

My question is: Is this a good move for me? Would benefit me and my credit history/score?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: To Pay or not to Pay in Full a Personal Loan this month?

I can only speak for myself but i've found that paying off a loan early usually results in an increase in scores not to mention your saving interest on the loan. 

On your CR usually it will reflex as payed early

Hope this helps youSmiley Wink

@jorgevazquez87 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I currently pay a loan for the amount of 3,000 dollars. The loan was given on march 2012 by a credit union and the purpose was for credit history. I have perfect payments and this week I have the capacity to pay in full. Right now I own a mortgage, walmart store card and the loan, 'm wondering if paying in full the loan would benefit me somehow. I pulled yesterday my annual credit report and there are no baddies, collections, etc and my current TU FICO Score is 707 (I don't know eq and exp never bought the scores)

I plan on buying a car at the end of this year or maybe on 2014, there's no hurry at the moment.

My question is: Is this a good move for me? Would benefit me and my credit history/score?

Thanks in advance!

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If it is your only installment loan your score could suffer if you pay it off and close it.  Only open, active installment loans count in credit mix.  Closed will still count in AAoA.

Installment loans play very little in FICO scoring but it is a YMMV thing.  Some have seen bumps when paid, others decreases.

Message 3 of 6
boomhower
Valued Contributor

The overall effect is minimal in the grand scheme but the longer you run it out the more it will help you auto enhanced FICO.  They are more heavily slanted towards installment history than the plain jain FICO. 

Message 4 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Is the interest rate low? If the rate is above 5%.. consider paying it off.

Otherwise I agree with boomhower that you could continue the payments until the loan is paid off.

I actually would pay it off if I were in your shoes. You met your goal with the loan; done its job so kick it to the curb. I like paying off installment loans early; that's just how I roll.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 6
m3rge
Regular Contributor

So in other words, do you suggest to pay in full this loan then take another one to have a installment active?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.