Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To payoff or not

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To payoff or not

I understand the reason behind not carrying balances on all my cards. What I don'tunderstand is how to keep CC companies form closing accounts due to no activity?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: To payoff or not

You can have monthly activity and still show $0 balances. Buy whatever and PIF before the due date and delay using the card until you know that $0 will report.
Message 2 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Clarification on what Llecs meant. Use your card to your heart's content and then PIF prior to the statement date yada, yada, yada.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

To further clarify, carrying a balance means (at least to me) not paying your entire balance each billing cycle.  That is, you can still let a balance report and pay it in full when you get the regular bill.  You won't incur any interest rate charges.

If, however, you are trying to limit the number of cards that report balances in order to boost your score, then you should follow the sage advice proffered by the mods.  Since you're using your cards, they won't be closed for inactivity.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

To payoff or not (before or after the closing date) doesnt matter I guess. As long as you keep the balance low like 5% of your credit limit when the statement closes.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for info
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll go ahead and try to pay attention to the dates and hope I get it right lol...
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying different methods and myths too. Sounds like I'd be on the right track, maybe just need some fine tuning.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.