Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Much Credit Card Debt!!

tag
clewis122
Valued Member

Too Much Credit Card Debt!!

Hi All!!

So, I've racked up about $15,000 in credit card debt. I'm drowning in $700 in credit card bills, $600 in rent and $600 for my car note & insurance monthly. I just can't keep up. I don't have any late payments & no derogs, by the way.

Any suggestions on what I can do?? Would you recommend debt consolidation?

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too Much Credit Card Debt!!

You might need to give a little more information in order to get the best options from others. Such as income, FICO scores etc. 

With what little I know about your situation, I would recommend a personal loan to roll up your credit card debt into. For instance, lets say you take out a $15,000 personal loan at 9.99% for 60 months. Your payment each month would be about $319 which would save nearly $400 per month over what you are paying now. 

Another option would be to play the 0% intro APR game with credit card balance transfers. Ideally you would be able to get one credit card with a very large limit and transfer all of your credit card debt to it and pay as much off as you could during the intro period. For instance, lets say you get a Citi Diamond Preferred card with a $20K limit (this won't happen by the way, just an example) with 0% APR for 21 months. $15,000/21 = $714 per month to pay off your debt before the APR kicks in. This is the same payment you are paying now, but there would not be any interest. More likely you would have to get two 0% intro APR cards and split up your total credit card debt between the two cards. 

This all depends on if your credit would qualify you for a personal loan or for additional credit cards (with limits that would allow all of your debt to be applied to them). And if you end up with $8000 on each new card, your credit-to-debt ratio would take a hit for a while. 

Also, if you can get rid of that high car payment and get into something smaller without carrying over negative equity could help.

But, without knowing more information, the above is all I can suggest. 

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

We need some info on your stats? Score, income, assets, etc.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clewis122 wrote:
Hi All!!

So, I've racked up about $15,000 in credit card debt. I'm drowning in $700 in credit card bills, $600 in rent and $600 for my car note & insurance monthly. I just can't keep up. I don't have any late payments & no derogs, by the way.

Any suggestions on what I can do?? Would you recommend debt consolidation?

Thanks in advance!

Debt consolidation is sometimes a good plan. What are your credit scores? That is an important factor.

Message 4 of 24
baller4life
Super Contributor

What is your utilization and Fico scores? What interest rate are you paying on the debt? You may qualify for consolidation loan. It would lower your payments and have the debt reporting as an installment loan opposed to being part of your utilization.

Message 5 of 24
baller4life
Super Contributor

Lol @ posting same time ML! 😁
Message 6 of 24
clewis122
Valued Member

My scores are in the mid 600s. Income is about $1800 monthly. Utilization is at 36%..

Thanks again!
Message 7 of 24
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

So $700 for CC bills, $1200 for rent and car note/Insurance, so your shelling out $1900 a month and your income is $1800, I'm assuming you're using the cards for gas, food, etc...

A debt consolidation loan won't help you much if you keep charging on the cards, you'll just pile up more debt since your monthly bills outweigh your income.
Message 8 of 24
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
So $700 for CC bills, $1200 for rent and car note/Insurance, so your shelling out $1900 a month and your income is $1800, I'm assuming you're using the cards for gas, food, etc...

A debt consolidation loan won't help you much if you keep charging on the cards, you'll just pile up more debt since your monthly bills outweigh your income.

+1 I agree. You have an income issue. I would suggest a part time job if possible to bring in more income.

Message 9 of 24
clewis122
Valued Member

My scores are in the mid 600s. Income is about $1800 monthly. Utilization is at 36%..

Thanks again!
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.