cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Took my friend from a 547 FICO to a 702 FICO in 3 1/2 HOURS.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Took my friend from a 547 FICO to a 702 FICO in 3 1/2 HOURS.

So, the other day a very good friend of mine was telling me her credit woes, and how she was unable to get a mortgage due to her score being mid 500s. So, I asked her if she minded if we pulled her credit to see if I could help her, uisng all my skills learned from MYFICO over the past 2+ years here. She had decent overall credit, but had a recent 30 day late from her AMAZON account (Synchrony) and then back in 2015 had a 30, 60 and 90 day late on that same account.  I knew the 60 and 90 were killing her score, as was the 30 day late from December. She also had a CHARGE OFF showing from a SEARS account, which is under Citi, but she was only AU on this account. 

What I did was guide her over the phone, while on 3 way and all her creditors informed that I was on the line with her authorization, on how to request a good will deletion of the lates on her file. At first the CSRs were not budging, so I was chatting with her via text on exactly how to word what she was looking to have done, and to continually escalate to a manager. It was really an awesome way to accomplish her goals because she was utilizing my knowledge in an area she had none at all (she was clueless as to what a GW was, or even the difference between a 30 day late and 90 day). Finally, the manager at AMAZON said that as a one time courtesy she was deleting the recent 30 day late, but could do nothing about the lates from 2015. Fine. Easy peasy.  I then drafted a letter for her to the Synchrony CEO -- detailing her situation (surgery in 2015 for her son, leading to high medical bills and lost income), and we fired this GW off.  Less than 2 hours later, she gets a call from Synchorny EO saying they are looking into it and will let her know the outcome...........

Next up was SEARS -- we called them and had them remove her as AU from her husbands account, as the CO was killing her score as well, as it was just done in November '16. They were super easy to deal with, deleted her as AU, and we were done in 5 minutes.  

Two days later, on Saturday, she pulled her scores again on CCT -- and HOLY MAGOLI!!!!! Scores on Thursday were:  EX 547 TU 555 EQ 524 and scores on Saturday were: EX 702  TU  700  EQ 698. BOOOOOOOOOOM!!! Synchorny had deleted the 30 day late from December and ALL the lates from 2015 ... Citi removed her as AU on the charged off SEARS account as well!!! 3 1/2 hours of phone calls, Good Will emails and persistence in the face of annoying, unhelpful frontline CSRs and these results!!  She immediately was approved that day for AMEX Blue Cash at $5,500, and Cap1 Venture at $15,000 !!!!!  Prior to this she could not get CREDIT ONE to give her a card! I was so happy for her, and legitimately thought about turning my services into a business of some sort for the under-educated credit consumers out there.  

She was over the moon, cried on the phone, and paid me an unsolicited fee for my time and services -- it was overall an amazing day.  3 1/2 hours fo my time enabled a good friend to get her credit fixed literally overnight, and she will now be applying for that mortgage in probably 6 months to a year with what will likely be excellent scores! 

Always push on and NEVER take no for an answer, PERIOD!!!!! :-)

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Took my friend from a 547 FICO to a 702 FICO in 3 1/2 HOURS.

Great work my friend!   Awesome of you spend time and show her (and us newer folks) how its done.

Message 2 of 10
washpadude
Regular Contributor

Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing!
BK CH7 Discharged 03/2015
FICO8 EQ-657 TU-657 EX-665
Revolving credit lines 125k.
Message 3 of 10
stellar
Established Contributor

I love this!  Good for you for helping someone else!  

My Fico is just a blank forum, until people sign up and start sharing their knowledge and experiences.  That cumulative knowledge lead the users of myfico to gain an expertise in credit.  It's pretty amazing when you think about how powerful it is for people to share knowledge.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing. I wish i could do this for more people that i know but i feel that some people with the worst credit are just embarrassed or just really dont care. Anyways glad to hear it all worked out good and the moral of the story is defnitely to keep pushing and not take no for a answer.

Message 5 of 10
tussking
Established Contributor

Joey reading your story gave me goose bumps...For anyone who has been in that situation and to be given help is simply amazing.

You are an amazing person. You changed her life literally ! This forum has been a god send to so many and like you I offer up all I have 

learned here to anyone I know who needs credit help. 

Best story of 2017 !

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow thanks so much guys!!! I was there once and thanks to MYFICO I turned my scores from low 500s to over 720 across the board (although dropped back down to 650s after a large tuition bill had to be charged as I'm
Back in school - yay!) but utilization drops are temporary as we know!!

I would help anyone ! It's a great feeling
Message 7 of 10
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Wow! What you did is amazing and wonderful for your friend.

So, you improved your friend's credit score so she was able to get around $20K of unsecured credit and most likely a new mortgage. Did you also teach her how to handle/set up her finances so that she would not fall behind with payments when an emergency happens?

I know I'm being a party-pooper and some people may even claim non-fsr, but...her medical-related lates 2 years ago are understandable, what caused the recent 30-day late? Have you taught her how to handle credit so that the new $20K credit line won't just become a bigger liability?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hellloooooo i would LOVE for your help i am a single mom and have NEVER had a credit card but my credit score is 547.. I had a nasty divorce and have no idea whats on my credit but shouldnt be much but hospital bills .. Ive tried and tried to get my credit up with no success..
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hellloooooo i would LOVE for your help i am a single mom and have NEVER had a credit card but my credit score is 547.. I had a nasty divorce and have no idea whats on my credit but shouldnt be much but hospital bills .. Ive tried and tried to get my credit up with no success..

You should create your own thread in the "Rebuilding Your Credit" forum: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/bd-p/rebuildingcredit

Just note that never having a credit card isn't "trying and trying" because you actually need 3 credit cards minimum to build a strong FICO score.  Same thing with installment loans -- at least one open loan is needed.

But you don't want to just apply for anything, we need to know your details.  Go to the forum I linked to and start a new thread and we can start guiding you on your journey.

Medical collections are likely easier to resolve than anything else (in many cases, not all) so once that's attacked you can be on your way to 700 scores quickly.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.