cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Account Number - "flipped" accounts and such...

tag
athuddriver

Total Account Number - "flipped" accounts and such...

Hello folks,

I have lurked around a bit and gotten a lot of good information.  

I am trying to get a handle on my total number of accounts on my credit history.  I reviewed a few threads and see that closed accounts fall off after 10 years. 

A couple questions:

1.  How does one handle "old" accounts that were flipped/sold to another servicer?  I have a couple "old" accounts on the list that fall into that category.

2.  Does it really matter?
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Total Account Number - "flipped" accounts and such...

You wouldn't want to remove the accounts at all. Removing them could impact your average age of accounts (AAoA) which, if lowered, will drop your score. Let them fall off naturally.

There's no negative impact to having too many accounts. If you pull your FICO report, you may see an annoying red flag next to the number of accounts on the "Credit-At-A-Glance" page. That flag will go away when you hit 29, but there is no negative impact at all for having too many accounts. You are good to go.

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accounts in good standing 10 years from last activity.

Does not matter much of any other factors.
Message 2 of 5
athuddriver

I know...long time since you posted this response but I have a follow up question...

There appears to be some impact on total number of accounts in one's history.  Currently I have 36 closed and open accounts listed.  I would reduce that down to 31 accounts if I could remove the "flips".  Does that make much of a difference?

Thanks Tim!

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You wouldn't want to remove the accounts at all. Removing them could impact your average age of accounts (AAoA) which, if lowered, will drop your score. Let them fall off naturally.

There's no negative impact to having too many accounts. If you pull your FICO report, you may see an annoying red flag next to the number of accounts on the "Credit-At-A-Glance" page. That flag will go away when you hit 29, but there is no negative impact at all for having too many accounts. You are good to go.

Message 4 of 5
athuddriver

The AAoA makes sense!  TANX!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.