Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total frustration with Equifax

tag
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

Total frustration with Equifax

I requested my credit report online last month from the annual check website. I was unable to get my report from Equifax because I’m not me( sarcasm) Every question they asked to verify my identity didn't apply to me. So, I failed the test & had to send in a copy of my DL & SS card. For good measure I sent in proof of my change of address, even though they didn't ask for it. So today I get a copy of the report & everything is fine. Except they still use my married name, even though I have been divorced for 10yrs. I understand why, in the years since I have paid by cash because of the horror story of the credit mess prior to my divorce. I stupidly swore off all credit until recently when I realized I needed it just to rent an apartment & how it even affects my insurance premium for auto insurance.

To make a long story short, I went online to dispute to correct my name. When I hit submit, the response was I need to fax or mail in, DL, SS card or W2 & a utility bill. OMG I just sent them via snail mail to get the report. So, I called & explained I had supplied the requested copies to get the report. To my dismay, I was told I needed to send them in again. Smiley Frustrated  The exact response was they didn’t have them on file, that I didn’t send any copies to get my report. We exchanged a few more words & I felt I was getting nowhere.  I was just so irritated at that point I said thank you & good bye.

No one has questioned the name change yet, the address change was questioned by Synchrony but TU was so cooperative on the phone & changed it for me. Equifax is a royal pain. Thank you for reading my vent. If you think I need to follow up with the name change please let me know, if not I don't want to deal with the aggravation & will let them maybe in 10 yrs. catch the name change.  Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Total frustration with Equifax

Equifax doesn't decide what your name is  Information is reported to them by creditors.

If you swore off credit after your divorce that's probably why they don't have updated info.  If you've updated info with your creditors then they will report it to Equifax and the other 2 major CRA's.

Message 2 of 7
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Equifax doesn't decide what your name is  Information is reported to them by creditors.

If you swore off credit after your divorce that's probably why they don't have updated info.  If you've updated info with your creditors then they will report it to Equifax and the other 2 major CRA's.

I agree with you as to the reason. I was just venting my frustration over being told that I did not send copies of my DL & SS to get the report.It was hard enough understanding the woman's accent over the phone then to have her not even acknowledge that I possibly needed to & did send the copies in to verify my identity to allow them to send me my report.  You are right, will wait for creditors to report, not worry about the small details. Thank you for taking time to reply.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with ya girlfriend. Equifax is a nightmare. The same thing happened to me last month. Was trying to request my credit report, they won't let me see it, they keep telling me I need to send in my ID and social security card. It makes me very nervous to send in a social security number via fax. I am really frustrated with them in general. My score is always the lowest with them, I can't speak to a human, if I do speak to a human they don't understand what I'm saying. They refused to transfer me to managers or tell me that they're in meetings. I finally got my report in the snail mail Saturday. I kept telling them that I need to dispute things, they say okay we can do it over the phone what's the account number? I tell them I don't have the account number because I can't see my credit report. And they always say "sorry I can't see your report either". TransUnion and Experian are much easier to work with. I have disputed all negative information with TransUnion and Experian and have had no issues at all. My Equifax score is 65 points lower than TU & Exp
Message 4 of 7
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

OM Gosh ..Equifax placed a fraud alert on my acct.. I called TU & they told me EQ had placed the alert..After verifying myself TU removed it but not going to even try & remove it from EQ..Yesterday, I got a email from EQ stating that my dispute has been resolved but when I checked the results, it said sent via mail. Sure, nothing has changed since it would not let me sign in until I used my (ex) married name. The funny thing is the email referred to me by my legal name; Dear XXXXXXXX, too funny. I'm glad for the security but totally frustrated that according to EQ, I'm not me Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 7
alexl22
Regular Contributor

Equifax is terrible, they do not update accounts, they delete positive tradelines, report inaccurate information. I have 5 BBB complains and 3 CFPB complaints and none of them have resolved anything. I have tried talking to them over the phone which lead to more problems. The most inept CRA. I am going for a mortgage in 3 months and they are causing all kinds of problems. If they cause even the slightest problem with my mortgage process then I will sue. This has been going on now for about a year with no resolution.

Starting Score: myFICO TU: 542, myFICO EQ: 556 EX: 549 (03/2013)
Current Score: 729 TU, EQ: 702, EX 724

Message 6 of 7
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

@alexl22 wrote:

Equifax is terrible, they do not update accounts, they delete positive tradelines, report inaccurate information. I have 5 BBB complains and 3 CFPB complaints and none of them have resolved anything. I have tried talking to them over the phone which lead to more problems. The most inept CRA. I am going for a mortgage in 3 months and they are causing all kinds of problems. If they cause even the slightest problem with my mortgage process then I will sue. This has been going on now for about a year with no resolution.

Best of wishes for your future success, hopefully your mortgage bank or co. only pulls TU & EX. I have come to the same conclusion, speaking to EQ only creates additional issues. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.