Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally Freaking Out - Medical Bill

tag
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

Totally Freaking Out - Medical Bill

I was in the hospital last year and ended up with a large bill. Back in October, I negotiated a payment plan with the hospital with $142 payments due on the 7th of the month. This past May, I called in to lower my bill because I'm going through a divorce and dealing with child support. They agreed to accept $125 per month starting on May 7th. I pay these bills through their online portal with a rewards card that I can pay right off. Now I will admit that I don't always pay exactly on the 7th, but definitely not more than 5-6 days later. Now that I receive child support through the state's office, I cant pay all of my bills on the first of the month like I used to do. I like to have the money in hand first.

Anyway, I went to check my mail and the hospital referred my account to an outside agency. The agency said that my full balance of $3,016 is due now and they referred to the letter as a "Collection Notice". However, the contact number is my hospital's phone # and the remittance address is the hospital's address. In any case, I'm freaking out because I close on my house on 9/28. I checked my reports and this agency isn't there. Of course I can't call because it's the weekend. I ran online to make my installment payment on a cc just to make sure I was caught up on my installment plan when I call in on Monday. 

So what do you think? Do you think this will end up on my reports? Or is this company just a patient billing company? The company's name is PFS out of Houston, Texas. I don't even know how to feel about this.

Thanks in advance.

Heres a picture of all of my monthly payments. I always pay them.

IMG_4758.PNG

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Totally Freaking Out - Medical Bill

Just keep making you arranged payment you are not months behind. I would call them to make sure that it stays off your CR but if it should appear medical does not stop a house closing and there are new rules out there as to when medicals can be reported.

Message 2 of 5
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Just keep making you arranged payment you are not months behind. I would call them to make sure that it stays off your CR but if it should appear medical does not stop a house closing and there are new rules out there as to when medicals can be reported.

Thanks for your reply.

I called into the collection agency this morning.  It seems the account was pulled back by the hospital the day after the letter went out, so there is no credit report impact.  I called the hospital and they said it was an error, and that I am paid up according to my payment plan.  She also suggested that I move my payment due date out to the 15th because online payments take 24-48 hours to post to their internal system.

So all in all, great call and very informative.

Message 3 of 5
Appleman
Valued Contributor

May be the shortest collection thread I have ever read.

You need to buy a lottery ticket, congrats on the quick positive resolution!

Message 4 of 5
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

May be the shortest collection thread I have ever read.

You need to buy a lottery ticket, congrats on the quick positive resolution!

I may take you up on this idea.  Hmmm!

I couldn't believe how quickly it was resolved.  I had my proof ready and everything.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.