Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion Deleting Good Accounts

tag
ljohn27
Contributor

TransUnion Deleting Good Accounts

Can someone help me understand why TU would erroneously delete 2 good standing revolving credit accounts and how I can get them reported again? Last month I disputed the balances - they updated them and then this month they deleted them from my report all together. I don't think I can re-dispute them because they don't exist. I've contact the credit card companies. These are my only 2 revolving accounts and have been on my reports since 2004 so having them deleted is killing my credit scores due to avergage age of accounts and N/A for credit uitl. PLEASE HELP! WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?

EX 678 | TU 689 | EQ 698 LENDER PULL 07/22/2014
EX 655 | TU 690 | EQ 678 MyFICO SCORES 07/09/2014
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: TransUnion Deleting Good Accounts

Are these closed accounts? I assume they are closed since you stated you disputed the balances.  If so, why do you say their deletion was erroneous?

If they aren't closed I would imagine that they will reappear when the credit card companies report your next balances.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 9
ljohn27
Contributor

No - they are not closed. They are active accounts in good standing. Perhaps I should not have disputed the balance but they were showing me owe way more than I did and I was trying to get my credit util down to increase my credit score.

I've sent notices to the banks and asked if they will re-report them. Trans Union is notorious for deleting accounts they shouldn't delete.

Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately this happens sometimes. Remember, your CCs only report 1x/mo and they'll report the balance you had on your statement date (vast majority do this anyway with a few oddballs reporting mid-statement on occasion). I'd give them up through a few days beyond your next statement date. That's when your CC would likely update next. In the future though, refrain from disputing. If the creditor failed to update over the course of 2 or more months, then in the future contact the creditor since they were the ones reporting that balance. 

Message 4 of 9
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

I am surprised they deleted two open accounts. While they will remove an account under dispute from your FICO score calculation, they usually stay on the report with the dispute notation.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 5 of 9
ljohn27
Contributor

Update and Learning Experience:

I spoke to member solutions at my bank this morning and they confirmed there some sort of glitch where they responded to my original dispute but never saw a second one. They asked me to send a letter authorizing them to re-report the account retro to my account effective date...I did that and within hours they confirmed it should be reflected back on my credit report within 72 hours. This was for my credit line with my credit union.

I have a Target account in which I'm a "authorized user" - agan they deleted it immediately because I don't have primary responsibility on the account. I'm wondering how I can get this re-reported as this account has been in good standing since 2005 - never late and low util. I had my husband send a note to them asking them to re-report and waiting for a response.

I could probably get my own cc but my FICO scores are EQ661/EX666/TU632 (from 650) because they removed the aboved mentioned accounts. I'm trying to avoid any unnecessary INQ...pay my bills on time so I can get my score above 700.

Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@ljohn27 wrote:

Perhaps I should not have disputed the balance but they were showing me owe way more than I did and I was trying to get my credit util down to increase my credit score.

Probably not.  Did you compare the balances on the reports to the respective statement balances?  The balances on your reports are not your current balances but the last reported statement balance.  As stated above, they're generally updated once a month and not every day.  If the balances were your statement balances then you definitely should not have disputed.

If you paid down the balance after it reported then it doesn't get updated until the next statement close.  If you want to reduce reported utilization then you need to pay prior to statement close.  If you pay after you receive your statement then it's too late and you can't reduce reported utilization.

Message 7 of 9
ljohn27
Contributor

They weren't showing the last statement balance which is why I disputed it. It's been resolved.
Message 8 of 9
ljohn27
Contributor

Good news everyone! I worked with my credit union and my account is now being reported to TU again. It was a process but I engaged the right people. Bottom line is if you need to work out any complex issues with TU tell them you want to speak to someing in the "Specail Handling" dept which is code for domestic customer service instead of India where thye just read scripts and never answer questions according to your inquiry. I was eventually able to get a manager to work with directly AND believe or not a direct phone number. It took several weeks to resolved but the results were positive. Food for thought - BE PERSISTANT!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.