Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion free credit report problem

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TransUnion free credit report problem

Hi Forum,

I just wanted to see if anyone experienced something similar or know how to correct the situation.

My husband and I tried obtaining our annual free credit reports, but my husband encountered problems pulling the report from TransUnion.

It claims that he cannot obtain one because he already ordered a free one.  But he hasn't.  And because we don't have any reference to this we have absolutely no idea how to obtain a copy of this report that he is entitled to!   

It turns out Equifax somehow didn't want to give us our reports online either due to some security reasons so we have to send in a request via mail... I am wondering if we attach a written explanation on my husband's mail request that the TransUnion website claims that he already ordered a free credit report this year but he hasn't and never received a free copy this year, if they will just send us a copy?

It looks like quite a few people online had similar problems (and posted complaints about it on online consumer report websites) and according to them, TransUnion doesn't have any email address where you can contact a customer rep and their phone number also leads to a fully automated system and you get a run around??

What to do... I guess though that these reports don't contain FICO scores anyway so I suppose we should just suck it up and order a paid copy...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TransUnion free credit report problem

Oh just to be clear I was able to pull free copies of TransUnion and Experian fine.  My husband only managed to obtain a free copy of Experian. 

Message 2 of 7
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Forum,

I just wanted to see if anyone experienced something similar or know how to correct the situation.

My husband and I tried obtaining our annual free credit reports, but my husband encountered problems pulling the report from TransUnion.

It claims that he cannot obtain one because he already ordered a free one.  But he hasn't.  And because we don't have any reference to this we have absolutely no idea how to obtain a copy of this report that he is entitled to!   

It turns out Equifax somehow didn't want to give us our reports online either due to some security reasons so we have to send in a request via mail... I am wondering if we attach a written explanation on my husband's mail request that the TransUnion website claims that he already ordered a free credit report this year but he hasn't and never received a free copy this year, if they will just send us a copy?

It looks like quite a few people online had similar problems (and posted complaints about it on online consumer report websites) and according to them, TransUnion doesn't have any email address where you can contact a customer rep and their phone number also leads to a fully automated system and you get a run around??

What to do... I guess though that these reports don't contain FICO scores anyway so I suppose we should just suck it up and order a paid copy...

Have you tried calling to get a copy of your credit report?  If not, pm me and I can give you the number that I used...  Smiley Happy  I had the same problem, and was able to get a free copy of my Experian report through the toll-free number; the recording gives you the option of which credit report you would like to order...

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you give me that number just in case?  I was going to try mailing the "Annual Credit Report Request Service" per the instructions given on their website but if I can speak to someone about it, it's faster.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Could you give me that number just in case?  I was going to try mailing the "Annual Credit Report Request Service" per the instructions given on their website but if I can speak to someone about it, it's faster.

Thanks!

Check your inbox!  Smiley Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have terrible problems trying to get my "free" report that is never free after postage copies of every type of identification possible.  The last time I tried to pull my free report, I was told that they, of course, couldn't pull it because I didn't  have any info on any of the ex, trans, or eq.  This was not all that surprising because this is what they have told me every year since I have tried to pull this report, but this year I knew that this wasn't the case.  I almost always have to send in whatever identification that they ask for.  I have sent in every bit of info that I have, which is not easy, because most of the billing I get is email billing, so I have to request a copy of my bill from a company with my address on it, only to be told that because the address on my driver's license isn't typed exactly the way it was on the bill made my identity unverifiable. I have sent in information to all of the big three requesting that they update my address because I move a lot (due to the military) and both ex and trans have a current address listed that I haven't lived at for almost 10 years.   Neither have updated that address. I have called and was told that all of my information has been received--just not verified--even though I have applied for new cards and had new accounts added to my reports with the new address on it.   I got really excited to get an alert from ex (I finally broke down and joined a credit monitoring service through my bank) that my address had finally been changed--I checked it, and it is incorrect--it has the wrong street number.   Its been three months since I have tried to have that corrected, and frankly, I just kind of gave up on that.  By the way, the same people who couldn't verify my identity, my address, or anything else about me had no problem reading my report back to me--over the phone--complete with account numbers.   When I pointed out that there was something wrong with that, the representative hung up on me, and I was unable to call back.

I thought it was just me, or that these companies were making it purposefully difficult so people couldn't see their reports.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do believe that they are making it hard for us.  Have you tried purchasing a credit report from the bureaus?  Were you able to obtain the reports (the big perk being the credit scores that are not shown in free credit reports anyway) or would they still not give them to you because you are "unverifiable"?  Because if you are spending money for stamps with all the back and forth with the bureaus you might as well order a paid copy and, if they can send you a paid copy that should also proved that the whole "unverifiable" excuse they are using when refusing to give you the free reports are just plain BS. 

I am considering just ordering my credit report copies (paid ones) anyway and forget about the free ones because I do pull the paid reports at least once a year anyway to check the scores. 

Still, it is frustrating that these bureaus seem to be refusing to provide the copies that we all are entitled to once a year.  I wonder exactly how many people are experiencing the same thing... I saw quite a few similar complaints on other websites.  I'm totally in if someone starts a class action suit on them : P

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.