Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion split file ... ugh.

tag
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

TransUnion split file ... ugh.

I had a few odd issues with TransUnion that didn't quite add up:

1) I could never freeze/unfreeze my report online. I always had to call in and speak with someone;

2) Whenever I'd try to do something online, they'd say they couldn't verify my info;

3) I was missing several accounts when I'd look at my report on CCT or MyFico.

So I ordered a copy of my report through the mail (since I couldn't do anything online, and found out I have a split file. Not 2 parts. Not 3 parts. It's split in 4.

Now I get to undertake a new adventure next week: Trying to get them to merge my file back into one. This should be fun given how "awesome" TransUnion's customer service has been every time I've needed to call them.

I'll update this thread with the results, but in the meantime, pray for my patience and credit soul....Smiley Very Happy

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TransUnion split file ... ugh.

Yuck, but your credit soul will be happier for getting it straightened out Smiley Happy

        
Message 2 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I honestly do not understand WHY that TU hasn't long ago already put something in place whereby when a split file occurs, it is automatically restored.

I been in computer sciences/Security a long time stretching back to Windows 98 and for the life of me, and with that "ready" resources be they outsourced or in-house why they continue to let that happen without having a provision to quickly reassemble splits.

Message 3 of 10
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

I agree - their systems are either REALLY outdated, or they have really poor programmers. What's odd about the split:

1) There's the "main" file - that has MOST of my records

2) I have one with only 2 student loan entries from 2009/2010

3) One has 4 or 5 of my newer accounts, including 1 opened after...

4) One has just my new lease

So I'm not sure the logic on how they're being split up. They're not open on the weekends, so I'll give them a call tomorrow. 

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 4 of 10
JMCB
Regular Contributor

For the newbs out there like me, what is a split file? O_o

Message 5 of 10
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

A split file basically means instead of one nice long continuous file that lists all my accounts, payment history, etc - it's been split into multiple smaller files. (In my case 4 of them)

The problem is that when they pull my credit for something, they may see one of the smaller files, for example the one with JUST my car lease. That makes it look like I have essentially no credit history and I might get denied or worse terms if I am approved.

So what they'll do is merge the 4 back into 1 so that the picture is complete and more accurate Smiley Happy

Hope that helps! Smiley Happy

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 6 of 10
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

Step 1 completed this morning, and it was actually relatively painless.

Called their customer service #, spoke to their overseas call center for a couple min, he recognized the split file, and transferred me to the department in the US that handles them. Had a very friendly person who said that I had a "wealth of credit info" which caused the split. What's funny is that I didn't think my file was actually that long compared to a lot of people LOL

Anyway, she filled out a form to get it merged, said it would take 5-7 business days to get that done, then they'd mail me a new credit report which I'd have in 5-7 more business days. So, hopefully in 2-3 weeks, I'll have everything all fixed up Smiley Happy I'm guessing I'll know when it happens because I should get new account alerts since the monitoring sites seem to only see the one main file. When the 8-10 other accounts merge in, that should throw them off a bit!

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 7 of 10
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

@heyryan wrote:

Step 1 completed this morning, and it was actually relatively painless.

Called their customer service #, spoke to their overseas call center for a couple min, he recognized the split file, and transferred me to the department in the US that handles them. Had a very friendly person who said that I had a "wealth of credit info" which caused the split. What's funny is that I didn't think my file was actually that long compared to a lot of people LOL

Anyway, she filled out a form to get it merged, said it would take 5-7 business days to get that done, then they'd mail me a new credit report which I'd have in 5-7 more business days. So, hopefully in 2-3 weeks, I'll have everything all fixed up Smiley Happy I'm guessing I'll know when it happens because I should get new account alerts since the monitoring sites seem to only see the one main file. When the 8-10 other accounts merge in, that should throw them off a bit!

Update!

It looks like they merged the files. I got a bunch of alerts yesterday about new accounts, new inquiries, etc., and on CreditKarma I went from 36 to 47 accounts. Looks like my score stayed about the same, or maybe went up a bit.

They should be sending me an updated copy of my newly merged report in the mail in a week or so!

All in all, not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The other nice side effect, I can FINALLY freeze/unfreeze my report online w/o having to call them! (which is dangerous =)

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, 4 huh ....

Do you know how that happened?

Message 9 of 10
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, 4 huh ....

Do you know how that happened?

Final update!

Got my merged report in the mail and everything looks good. I couldn't see any accounts that accidentally got dropped, so I now only have one TU file again Smiley Happy

AND... as a side bonus, I can freeze/unfreeze online again! woohoo!

CCHO- I'm not sure exactly, but old, crappy systems in TU's IT infrastructure would be my guess.

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.