Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction Fees and Credit Card Company Profits

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

Transaction Fees and Credit Card Company Profits

I apologize for asking a  dull question, I couldn't find a similar thread on the board.

I'd like to know  how CCC's look at multiple transaction usage or large transaction usage.

Which is more profitable to CCC's ?

Is each transaction fee charged to a merchant  the same regardless of the size of the transaction?.

Which method of usage do CCC's  prefer,  large transactions or multiple small transactions.?

6 REPLIES 6
kelli1970
Contributor

Re: Transaction Fees and Credit Card Company Profits

They charge the merchants a set percentage of their sales, so number of transactions does not matter to them.

Starting Score: TU 595 EQ 610 EX 601
Current Score: TU 683 EQ 661 EX 677
Goal Score: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@veracious wrote:

I apologize for asking a  dull question, I couldn't find a similar thread on the board.

I'd like to know  how CCC's look at multiple transaction usage or large transaction usage.

Which is more profitable to CCC's ?

Is each transaction fee charged to a merchant  the same regardless of the size of the transaction?.

Which method of usage do CCC's  prefer,  large transactions or multiple small transactions.?

Merchants are generally charged a relatively small per transaction fee plus a percentage of the total.  For example, every swipe costs them 25 cents plus 2% of the total.

Message 3 of 7
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks, 06.

Your answer was what I was looking for.

I always wondered if merchants were charged a percentage of each sale when customers purchase with a CC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@veracious wrote:

Thanks, 06.

Your answer was what I was looking for.

I always wondered if merchants were charged a percentage of each sale when customers purchase with a CC.

There may be exceptions to the rule, but most are.  It's generally a flat charge per swipe / approval plus a small percentage of the total. 

Each merchant negotiates different numbers with their processor which may involve caps or other sweetheart deals, though.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's why many of small businesses are asking customers to pay in cash if the total due is less than $10.

Message 6 of 7
awal
Regular Contributor

All of the gas stations in my area have started offering a Cash Price vs Credit Price. If they are wiling to pass on some of those savings to the consumer, I'm all for going to the ATM machine and withdrawing a a bucks to save a couple dollars every full up. I wish more places had that kind of pricing model...

Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.