Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion Collection Accts

tag
TRJ604
Established Member

Transunion Collection Accts

Hi All,

I am writing because I am unsure on how to best handle this matter. Back in Dec 2014, I was denied credit due to a delinquent account on my Transunion. I knew that was bogus so I immediately requested a CR and saw that there was in fact an erroneous collection account that magically popped up a day or two before I applied for credit. It was claiming to be a Sprint debt. I haven't had Sprint service in nearly 7 years. I called Sprint to verify the account status and to ensure it wasn’t as a result of Identity theft. They confirmed my account was closed in good standing and that my information had NOT been used to open any accounts since then.

I submit a dispute with Transunion and within 1 business day they removed the $830 collection account from my report... Great!!

Fast forward to today, I go to apply for something and get denied due to a delinquent account. Again, I request a CR and there goes another bogus collection account for what seems to be the same Sprint 'debt' but this time it was for $630 and from a different collection agency. I have submitted a dispute already and I am sure it will get rectified as was the case before.

My question is: Is there anything I can do about this? I asked Transunion if there was anything that could be done on their end and they stated that they just report what’s sent to them, which is understandable to an extent, considering it came from a different CA. My concern is that this erroneous account will continue to be sold off to different CAs and that it will be in a continuous loop. 

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

My Wallet: [ BofA Accelerated Rewards Amex : Discover More : Amex Blue Cash Preferred : Chase Freedom ]

Starting Score: [TU] 679 [EQ] 679 [EX] ? (05/03/11)
Current Score: [TU] 708 [EQ] 708 [EX] ?
Goal Score: 760+ Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Transunion Collection Accts

TU is incorrect.

The reinsertion of information that was previously deleted as the outcome of a dispute requires CRA approval prior to its reinsertion.

That requirement applies to ANY party requesting reinsertion of information previosuly deleted due to lack of verifiction in a dispute.

See FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

In a nutshell, any requested reinsertion by any party, and not just the prior reporting party, must be accompanied by a certification of its accuracy, and the CRA is prohibited from reinsertion unless the pre-certificatino is provided and approved by the CRA.

AS the culmination of that process, the CRA is required, should they obtain the required pre-certification of accuracy, send the consumer written notice to that effect within 5 days.

They did not follow that process.

They cannot resinsert any collection on that debt until they have complied with section 611(a)(5)(B).

Simply send the CRA the Notice of REsults of Reinvestigation, which is the official document providing the outcome of the prior dispute, and the CRA must delete.

No need for a dispute from the consumer.

They should also mark their file to indicate the need for pre-certifiction of any reporting of a collection on that debt.

Message 2 of 7
TRJ604
Established Member

Great! Thank you for the info. I will reach out to CRA again and update thread with the results.

My Wallet: [ BofA Accelerated Rewards Amex : Discover More : Amex Blue Cash Preferred : Chase Freedom ]

Message 3 of 7
TRJ604
Established Member

They have been of no help. I spoke to a few folks and got the same response. They are basically stating that because it was sold off and is under a dfferent name and apparently different acct #, that I need to let the investigation complete and/or reach out to the CA directly.

I will reach out to BBB to report both CAs but beyond that I feel stuck. It seems as if I will be in the loop forever if its that simple for them to sell off and change account numbers.

I reached out to Sprint again to ensure that the information they proivded to me before was accurrate. They confirmed all was good on their end and that nothing had ever been sumitted to collections. The person I spoke to at least mentioned that they were going to provide me a copy and submit prove to CRAs with account history and showing that it was never submitted to collections. The process takes 30-60days... Goodness. I thought this was the 21st century.. haha. We shall see what comes of it!

Message 4 of 7
TRJ604
Established Member

Well the debt was removed, as expected, after a full month review. :/ And of course during this wait, the CA sold it off to another CA. While it is not being reported on my CR at the moment, I received a letter from the new CA for this 'debt'. This is the first time ive been contacted by any of the CAs. I can certainly submit a letter of verification, but the same will occur im sure. They cant verify and before the 30 days, they will sell it off.

Seems TU will not be of any help with my current situation. Would putting a statement in my CR be wise in this situation? Are there any actions I can take? Any rights that I have living in the state of NY? Or am I out of luck and will have to monitor my report regularly to check for discrepancies for the rest of eternity?

Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@TRJ604 wrote:

Well the debt was removed, as expected, after a full month review. :/ And of course during this wait, the CA sold it off to another CA. While it is not being reported on my CR at the moment, I received a letter from the new CA for this 'debt'. This is the first time ive been contacted by any of the CAs. I can certainly submit a letter of verification, but the same will occur im sure. They cant verify and before the 30 days, they will sell it off.

Seems TU will not be of any help with my current situation. Would putting a statement in my CR be wise in this situation? Are there any actions I can take? Any rights that I have living in the state of NY? Or am I out of luck and will have to monitor my report regularly to check for discrepancies for the rest of eternity?

If the OC says your account is closed and in good standing I would get a letter to that affect and then send a copy of it with a ITS (intent to sue) letter if they dont immediately cease all collection efforts and that means cease selling it as well.

Message 6 of 7
TRJ604
Established Member

Thank you for the reply. I will follow up with Sprint again on the matter but they mentioned it will take 30-60 days to process through their credit dept to get the paperwork. Ill update once I hear back from them.

In the mean time, I submitted a complaint on the consumerfinance gov site.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.