Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion Dispute Spook

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Transunion Dispute Spook

So I purchased the myFico 3 bureau credit monitoring service today and found out that my birthday was off by a year on my Transunion credit report. It was correct on my Equifax and Experian reports. I tried submitting an online dispute but the Transunion system was having problems and prompted me to call (I followed the dispute link directly from the myFico credit monitoring service and used that phone number).

The lady I spoke to in hopes of correcting my birthday was asking me very detailed information about my accounts. She asked me the FULL credit card number, what I usually pay per month on the card, the original opening balance, and the date I opened the account. She did this with two of my credit cards and then asked for information on a third before I stopped and told her I don't feel comfortable with this anymore.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Is this just normal operating procedure to change something as simple as a birth date?  

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Transunion Dispute Spook

I would not be overly spooked.

If you know you are speaking with the CRA, they have an obligation to preserve the privacy of their files, and are certainly prudent to make sure they are speaking with the actual consumer.

It's better than a request to send proof in writing before the speak with you......

Message 2 of 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

+1

I find I have to think very carefully about some of the validation multiple choice questions they give before allowing you to download the credit file even.

It's all to keep someone from spoofing you. So don't be spooked Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

She did this with two of my credit cards and then asked for information on a third before I stopped and told her I don't feel comfortable with this anymore. 

Why were you uncomfortable?  They already have the information and they're verifying your identify.  You should be spooked if they didn't bother or did a poor job of verifying and went ahead and changed your data anyway.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.