cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion credit score way different than experian and equifax! Help please.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion credit score way different than experian and equifax! Help please.

Hello guys,I recently used one of those free credit score websites for a 7 free seven day trial to see what my credit score(s) were so that I could see what cards I could apply for.  I currently have a Capital One platinum card that I have had for over two years.  They started me out with a $500 credit limit and have slowly raised it to $1250.  All of my payments have been on time and I have usually paid off my bill every month in full.  In April of this year Capital One offered me a Rewards card and I have been using that as responsibly as my platinum card.  Anyway, when I checked my credit scores I was shocked to see that I had a 752 Transunion score, but significantly lower (672 and 682) on my Equifax and Experian scores.  I looked deeper into it and found that my Transunion score listed both of my Capital One accounts that I have open, and showed that I have paid on time every month, but my Equifax and Transunion scores had no payment information on either of my cards.  In other words, if you are familiar with freescore.com, my Transunion payment history read "OK, OK, OK, OK, OK..." each month; whereas it was just blank for experian and equifax.  Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?  I called Capital One and they told me that they of course report to all three agencies so it isn't anything on their end.  Also, what can I do to fix this?  Thanks for any assistance in solving my issue!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Transunion credit score way different than experian and equifax! Help please.

Welcome to the forums!

Freescore.com is backed by TransUnion Interactive if I recall correctly and it is set up simularly to TrueCredit, or at least per reporting. From personal experience, the "OKs" didn't always appear on all 3 when compared side-by-side and appeared to be misreporting whenn that wasn't the case. If you pulled your reports from annualcreditreport.com (for free) you should see that history. Also, ignore the scores from freescore. If I remember, they are TransRisk scores (a FAKO) and lenders won't touch it. FICO scores wouldn't react in that manner with regards to the lack of the "OKs" assuming they are actually not there.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transunion credit score way different than experian and equifax! Help please.

I used annualcreditreport.com a little over a year ago and it only told me my average score, not all three separetely.  It told me it was at 672 (which is currently my lowest score).  I don't think that annualcreditreport.com's "average" was truely an average, but rather just showed my lowest of the three scores.  Here over a year later my lowest score (I can't remember if it was Experian or Equifax) is still 672, meaning it hasn't moved at all even with perfect payment history.  In addition, I recently applied for a "average credit" credit card from citi bank and they declined me because they pulled my Equifax report and it said that I "Had no revolving credit history"  This tells me that I truely am not being reported to equifax or experian, please correct me if I am wrong here.

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Annualcreditreport does offer any scores at all. It give you the chance to pull one, two, or all 3 reports. When you pull, experian.com, transunion.com, or equifax.com will offer you, with your report, a score at a low fee. None of those scores are FICO scores and lenders won't touch them. Since freescore offers a FAKO called a TransRisk, it's quite possible that TransUnion offered it to you as well for that small fee. Again, don't put any faith in that score. It means nothing. Any advice offered on freescore is bad too. Your FICO report would show your FICO score and will show you what hurts the most with regard to your report(s).

If you received a denial reason for "Lack of (or no) Revolving History", it could mean just that. Do you have anything else besides CapOne? I remember getting that when I first started out after being on cash-only for nearly a decade. Despite having 3+ CCs reporting monthly, I got the same thing early on. I would pull your reports from somewhere and look for a "reported" or "status" date. Make sure that date is recent on your CapOne. Also make sure you use it every 3-4 months to keep it active. Sometimes you can see that denial reason for a un-used CC.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have anything besides Capital One, but like I said I do have two cards from them.  I find it hard to believe that I could have no revolving history because I have had at least on of my Cap. One cards for over two years and have spent at least $10,000 on it in that amount of time.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might consider pulling your TU report and score from here.  I'm betting you'll see Cap One reporting properly, and you'll get a real FICO score.  Sometimes it's worth pulling the report and score just to get your bearings and to see that all is well.

I do have to say though, that of all 3 CRA's TU is the one that drops accounts in and out of the report most frequently.  This seems to happen to me when I have more than one account from the same bank (i.e. my several GEMB merchant cards bounced in and out of TU on a monthly basis - very rarely all reporting at the same time until I closed most of them).  I haven't had that same experience with EQ or EX.

And third party reporting services are notorious for missing various fields of info at different times - I do see that frequently for all 3 CRA's.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.