Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion's Response

tag
mannmiller
Valued Member

Transunion's Response

On 1-21-08, I  sent a request to a CA to validate a medical collection debt.  (via cert mail)  They have it shown as $850 which has added on about $400 in interest!!  Of course, I have received NOTHING from them.  I sent the disputes to the CRA's, and yesterday received a two page letter from Transunion stating my requests are frivolous.  In my opinion, doubling the cost of a medical bill in interest is NOT frivolous!!

In my letter I asked the CRA to provide the name of the person they spoke to to verify the debt and this was not provided.  The debt is valid but I refuse to pay it until I know the amount is totally correct and I know I legally owe this collection agency the amount.  The CA sent me a letter threatening to sue in "15 days if payment was not received"

Do I have any recourse with Transunion??  When they verify a debt, is it their obligation to verify the additional fees or do they just the word of the CA over me?

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transunion's Response

mannmiller wrote:
On 1-21-08, I  sent a request to a CA to validate a medical collection debt.  (via cert mail)  They have it shown as $850 which has added on about $400 in interest!!  Of course, I have received NOTHING from them.  I sent the disputes to the CRA's, and yesterday received a two page letter from Transunion stating my requests are frivolous.  In my opinion, doubling the cost of a medical bill in interest is NOT frivolous!!

In my letter I asked the CRA to provide the name of the person they spoke to to verify the debt and this was not provided.  The debt is valid but I refuse to pay it until I know the amount is totally correct and I know I legally owe this collection agency the amount.  The CA sent me a letter threatening to sue in "15 days if payment was not received"

Do I have any recourse with Transunion??  When they verify a debt, is it their obligation to verify the additional fees or do they just the word of the CA over me?

Thanks for any help!

You should have waited for the CA to validate, or not. (Did you get the copy of the GC back?) It has not been 30 days. Their ITS letter, is also in violation's, if you have the GC. They are to stop collections once they receive your DV. This mean's they should have told the CRA's it was in dispute. You jumped the gun on disputing with the CRA's.
Message 2 of 6
mannmiller
Valued Member

Thanks for your input.

I was told to do this right away.  (I guess I am getting the wrong advice, this was from [the dark side]) 

Do I have any recourse now?

And by the way, yes I did receive the GC!

Message Edited by Timothy on 02-15-2008 06:17 AM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

mannmiller wrote:
Thanks for your input.

I was told to do this right away.  (I guess I am getting the wrong advice, this was from [The Dark Side]) 

Do I have any recourse now?

And by the way, yes I did receive the GC!

Since it's medical, I will assume you may have tried to follow some of why chat's process.

In your case since you DV'd the CA, you still must wait the 30 days for them to validate, if they can.
After day 31,  if they have not validated, then you can send letter of DV and GC to the CRA's reporting.

Message Edited by stef37 on 02-14-2008 06:52 AM

Message Edited by Timothy on 02-15-2008 06:17 AM
Message 4 of 6
mannmiller
Valued Member

Thanks Again.

I guess I am being impatient.  (I am anxious to resolve this due to my mortgage application process that is now ongoing)

I am assuming that I won't hear from the CA.  I will go ahead and re-submit to the reporting CRA's with the green card after the 30 days.

Do you happen to know what the CRA is obligated to provide me (specifically) and/or what they have to verify?  I was curious about the terms and fees that have been added

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can send MOV letter to the CRA's  if they do not delete after you get the GC back, and the CRA's verify.

You can read this link about MOV. It explains that process quite a bit more, if it comes down to doing that and they STILL won't budge.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.