Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treading on Dangerous Ground...

tag
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

Treading on Dangerous Ground...

To make my story short I bought a car in my mom's name only in may of 06. My credit sucked so she offered. I make the payments every month via the finance companies website.

Her credit was ok but not great and the car was financed at 10.99/72 months (yeah yeah I know now).  So of course I owe about 2000 more than the car is worth right now if I sell it outright.

I am getting married next year, have student loans coming out of deferrment soon and just dont want to pay for this car anymore, its costing me 475/month to have, plus $100 in insurance. (nissan 350z...)

I dont have any real spare cash since Im right out of college, I have recently paid off all my old credit card debt and have 2 credit cards with a combined 2250 limit.

I cant get out of this car by trading it in, since that would effectively add about $4500 in negative equity to a loan (I owe 19500, trade in is 15k max), resulting in me being in the same boat, not to mention most places will not finance that amount of negative equity.

So my best option is to try and sell it outright and put any difference onto my credit cards.  I would then drive my beater truck for a few months and pay down those cards as fast as possible. 

What I am worried about is the point drop ill take. Will it recover fully or will I end up with lower scores? 

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I thought of maybe a personal loan but I dont know if my bank will do that since they dont seem to like me because of my past payment history with them over 2 years ago.

So thoughts suggestions?
Thanks in Advance,
Chuck

Message Edited by gNaRKiLL on 01-16-2008 09:00 AM
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
maxq
Regular Contributor

Re: Treading on Dangerous Ground...

gnar~ first off, i know another gnar, i wonder if your the same one? do you play internet games? lol....

Anyway, back to your situation...I want to say I'm no expert.

My 1st suggestion is for you NOT to file BK. let's just get that out there. Too many people feel like when things are bad they have no other options other than BK. So that is not an option for you at this point.

My 2nd suggestion is for you NOT to get another loan. Don't rob Peter to pay Paul. IMO you would hurt your score more and go in more debt by taking out another loan. Unless of course that is your only option. This would be something as a last resort. Even over BK.

So what can you do?

Well I would keep your car. Keep making the payments. If you have a job and things are solid from your salary perspective then it's best to maintain your position on that loan. Keep making the payments and your credit will look much better than if you tried to get out of the loan by trading it in on something else.

Now if you just cannot afford this car payment then you could try to sell it outright but the money you would make off of it probably wouldn't pay it off. This could be an option if you just can't afford the payments at this time but keep in mind you would owe the difference on the loan.

When you say you paid off your old credit card debt does that mean you have $0.00 owed to any credit card accounts right now? If you do have balances you could make the minimum until you get sorted out with your car situation.

Take one thing at a time. Try not to feel like you have to pay everything off at once or else you will become overwhelmed.

I wouldn't worry about your scores at the moment. Focus instead on your budget and what you want to do about your car loan. Another suggestion might be to refinance your car loan. I don't know if that would be an option for you at this point.

If you have no savings or spare cash this becomes a pay check to pay check thing and that is when people feel really overwhelmed. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but you don't have to pay everything off at once. Focus on one thing at a time.

One final suggestion would be to consider asking a family member or a friend to borrow some cash. I would right down all your expenses. Figure out what you need to get your head above water and then form a game plan. If you have someone to borrow money from maybe they will and not charge you interest or expect it back right away. This is a good way to take a little of your debt down and give you a lot more piece of mind.

Hope something in there helped. Good luck!
Goal of 825+ Gardening since 05/05/2017
Message 2 of 8
cobra19
Valued Contributor

gN.............sounds like this car is an albatross - get rid of it.

Sell it - and when you do your numero uno priority is paying of the note. After all, it's in your Mom's name, right?

Use the old truck  for awhile. I would not take on any more debt by trying to secure another loan.

IMHO, a point drop is not the priority here. There are things more important than a few  FICO points.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 8
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys. I did used to play online games alot using the name gnarkill but that was the day of defeat and counterstrike games.

first off the BK is nowhere in my mind since I dont believe in them and I can pay all my bills, I just want more disposable income and less debt. Plus the car isnt even in my name.

I owe nothing to credit cards other than my PIF amex and hooters card, which dont retain balances essentially.

Now as far as another loan, well the only upside to a personal loan for say 2k is that I would only have 2k of debt vs 19500 of debt. I can pay that off a lot faster.

I could ask for a loan from the parents or something but I really dont want to since I just want to do this on my own and not have to rely on anyone, but that option is still there.

I think I am going to go forward selling the car outright and see where I end up.  I might take a hit on the fico in the short term but getting the debt gone will be a huge stress relief.

Message 4 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

gnarkill, is the loan in your mom's name alone or did she co-sign for you? I don't understand how you would take a fico hit by selling this car, unless you had to max out the CCs. I agree w/Cobra. Get this 500 lb. gorilla off of your back. It is not worth it to have this stress about a car.

I remember about a dozen years or so ago, I had to have this new-style Blazer LT. It looked so good, but the $500/mo payment + $100/mo insurance + $200/mo gas made it the ugliest thing in the world. My wife and I used to race to see who would drive that thing. After about two or three months, we raced to the corolla (umm...gas mileage). After about a year, I sold that sumgun and got out. Came up short, put the rest on my CC. Bought a much cheaper (used) SUV and put the difference towards my CC (paid it off in about 8 months). Rested much easier, b/c my monthly payment was less than half of the Blazer's.

Best of luck to you.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

Get out from under the car loan!!  If you have to pay the diff w/ cc's, then do so!  Yes, you will take a TEMPORARY point drop, BUT, pay them down as much as possible in a short amount of time...and your scores should go right back up, I guessing even higher!  FICO likes to see cc's being used...you mentioned you have 0.00 cc debt, so you aren't using the cards currently...use them, pay them off, scores go up!!

BTW...what are your scores and why are they so bad?  You know....we can help you clean up your credit reports?!  That is what these forums are for!  Hope we can help you some more!!Smiley Wink

Good Luck!!

takin' it one day at a time
Message 6 of 8
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

The car is in my moms name so it wont hurt my credit to pay it off, hers might get hurt a bit but that doesnt matter she destroyed it a few months ago on her own. Hell she even offered to let the bank just take the car to which I told her no since thats way irresponsible of me.
The credit cards will effectively be maxed out which is where my point drop will come in.
Im gonna spit shine her this weekend and stop driving it and put it up for sale. I appreciate the input guys I really hope this thing sells fast.

My scores are low because I had a lot of baddies from 2 years ago but have been essentially perfect since. I just cant get the lates removed, but all the accounts have been paid in full.

Hell I think ill send out another round of GW letters tonight.

See scores below in sig.

Message Edited by gNaRKiLL on 01-16-2008 05:36 PM
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to comment on your student loans.  You can always ask for a hardship defferment, you will be able to knock your payments back another year.  Maybe that would help you.  I did this right after I graduated from nursing school.  They were federal funded loans.  Hope this helps.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.