Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble getting credit from American Territory

tag
hawaiitony
New Contributor

Trouble getting credit from American Territory

Has anyone had trouble getting credit, or been denied credit, simply because they live in an American Territory?

I have recently been denied credit because I am living, temporarily, on Guam. I'm not military, but am a government employee, on a transportation agreement with a minimum tour of 2 years. Alliant's credit analyst originally told me I have to be living in the United States and be paid in dollars. I countered that Guam is part of the United States and I am paid in dollars. She then came back that credit can not be extended unless living in one of the 50 states.

My service agreement states that my home of record is my actual address for transportation purposes. I have asked for reconsideration, on the loan, based on this and I changed my address back to Hawaii via Skybranch. Still waiting for a response to these new actions.

Have posted previously regarding this. It was recommended that I broaden the chances for responses by changing the title. I appreciate all that posted previously.

Edited to add: All American banking and collection laws seem to apply in Guam. There are well known American banks and credit unions, such as citibank, penfed and nfcu, with branches here.

Message Edited by hawaiitony on 09-23-2008 08:41 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trouble getting credit from American Territory

Tony,

My DH & I were denied credit for furniture purchase in 2005, b/c we were moving to Gtmo Bay & put our AE address.. the company wouldn't even run the application b/c of the FPO/AE!!

Luckily, the furniture store was in my hometown & they extended us credit on the store, b/c they felt their credit co's policy wasn't supportive of the troops.

We also had the same problem getting a personal loan w/ the FPO address. We had to use his home of record address & reapply, and ALSO have his sister (in the same town of his home of record) as a co-signer.

I would re-run your app w/ your home of record address. Gtmo Bay had a NFCU & McDonald's & KFC (how much more American can you get?) and it still didn't matter. The credit co's saw the APO/FPO addy & knew it was overseas, and assumed that would make it too high-risk to collect.
Message 2 of 4
hawaiitony
New Contributor

ivyalmighty wrote:
Tony,

I would re-run your app w/ your home of record address. Gtmo Bay had a NFCU & McDonald's & KFC (how much more American can you get?) and it still didn't matter. The credit co's saw the APO/FPO addy & knew it was overseas, and assumed that would make it too high-risk to collect.

I have done just that. I am trying again with a Hawaii address. Waiting to see what response I get. Thanks for the reply.
Message 3 of 4
hawaiitony
New Contributor

Spoke with the loan officer, he told me that he could not approve what I was asking for, but offered $2500 platinum visa, which I accepted.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.