Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying Buy a house wondering about Bankruptcy

tag
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying Buy a house wondering about Bankruptcy

I think you are making a wise decision,  besides with the new Bankruptcy laws in place now, it's no longer that "Get out of Jail Free" card anymore, in most cases you will still have to payback your creditors, which you are planning to do now, and still have a Bankruptcy on your Credit Report.

Good luck to you.
Message 11 of 16
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Oh and please don't think of getting a house until you are "sure" you are ready, even if that means waiting a little longer than 2 years to get a house.    Once you get your debt in a more managable shape, start saving, saving , saving and get all your bills including utilities bills, all up to date.   Get your savings account growing, use an ING or some other high interest yielding savings account, don't take on any needless  debt, just to try to improve your score.    You debt to income ratio is just as important to getting financed than your FICO score.   It's a long hard fight but very doable.  I would also recommend buying Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover".  You can get it at any bookstore for about $25 or you can get a used one from Amazon for around $10.  It is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
Once piece of advice would be pull your last few months bank statements and such from you and your spouse and crunch the numbers and see where you can start saving some money.  For example
 1.  How often do you eat out, (if alot start buying more groceries and use coupons)  Take your lunch to work.
2.  do you have cable?  It's really not a necesitty,  Maybe think of down grading to just basic analog cable or get rid of it all together.
3.  How many phones do you have?   Do each of you have a cell phone and a normal landline phone?
     Maybe look to get rid of the landline phone.
4.  Transportation?   How do you get to work everyday?   Is public transportation available.   The money you could save in gas.
They are alot of ways to cut costs and start working out your budget.    I hope this helps.   Good luck.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must say that i totally agree with devhip 's opinion.

I had roughly 15K of debt last year. I did settlements with the creditors. Most i got the entire amount down to was about 9K. Paid off all the settlements last August. I didnt have any money at all at that point but fortune enough to have wonderful friends who knew my situation and trusted me with personal loans.
What you do have to keep in mind is that if you settle, the amount that they forgive...you will have to pay IRS taxes for that.

Things were so complicated for me too because i was so about to to file bankruptcy. But then i was like..im young and i have alot more things ahead of me. Bankruptcy would just set me backwards. ALthough negative information will be removed from my report in 2012, at least i can try to rebuild positive lines of credit until that time. I am hoping to buy a house in couple of year, hopefully before i turn 28, which would be 3.5 years from now. I hope that my credit goes up enough to qualify for a morgtage despite all that bad info on my reports.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that sounds like a good idea too...well with me, i work a fulltime job, and also just recently got my real estate license...so what im hoping is that i can help people i know buy houses and then use my commission checks to pay off debt and then take from there...There is my plan for the extra dough.

Thanks! You are come up with some brillian ideas though
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

real estate license is a very good start. This way you can also get first hand experience on how mortgages work and how different people go thru the whole process. Im sure you studied the mortgage chapter in that big real estate book.
Are you doing real estate full time for now or part time? Full time might be a little unstable for you right now as you only get paid when you close a contract. So, you cant really know how much would you be gettin paid. I know couple of agents who do this stuff full time and are very well off. With a full time job, at least you know that you have stable coming in every week or two.

But anyways, good luck!
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

stable income* ....sorry about the typos
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.