Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to correct an error at TU that TU can't actually see

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Trying to correct an error at TU that TU can't actually see

Confusing title, eh?

Starting sometime in the last year or so, credit reports from TU now include my full birthdate.  Previously, they only listed the month and year of birth, just like the TU reports that are obtained directly from TU (or rather, through annualcreditreport.com).  I also recently signed up with TU Quarterly Monitoring, and this also lists my full birthdate.

In the past, I've had problems with Equifax reporting my birthdate incorrectly (partially described here).  It took a lot of effort to finally correct the problem permanently with EQ.  As far as I could tell at the time, it was an isolated problem with EQ.  Experian has always reported my correct birthdate.  For TU, I could only assume that my birthdate was correct since they only list the month and year.

Now, I can plainly see that my birthdate recorded at TU is not correct.  The month and year are fine, but the day of the month is wrong.  It's same error that was at EQ.

Here's my problem: I can't seem to get my birthdate corrected at TU, because when I try to do an online dispute, the report only lists my month and year, ergo, there's no error to dispute.  When I called a CSR to try to initiate a dispute with a human being, the report that he pulled up also only listed the month and year.  So he was unable to initiate a dispute, because as far as he could tell, there wasn't any error!

So, here I am stuck with the knowledge that my birthdate is incorrect at TU.  I was assured by the CSR that since they only report the month and year, the error wouldn't affect me should some creditor pull my report.  I will take his word for it, but I'm skeptical.  After all, they do report the full birthdate information to myFICO.com.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Trying to correct an error at TU that TU can't actually see

Any chance that the CCC that screwed it up with EQ is reporting you wrong again? Is it the same wrong date?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think so, because EQ has been reporting the correct birthdate for the last 1.5 years, and that was the one that was regularly reverting back to the old birthdate when that one CCC updated. I suspect that TU has had it wrong for a long time, but I just wasn't able to see it until recently. But I will call the CCC that previously had the wrong date.
Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You gotta love that not only can you not pull up the report with the MMDDYY format for dispute, but neither can the TU CSR. Smiley Tongue

Do you remember the wrong date that was reported back in the day, and if so, is it the same? I'd be a lot less crazy if it was the same date again, and I might even wonder if there was some third, outside source with the wrong date that was being used.

I think that if it was different, I would have to go lie down with a wet washcloth over my forehead or something...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that in my first response.  Yes, it is the same incorrect birthdate that appeared on EQ.  So, I'm assuming that the source is the same.

When I think back, for the past couple years I haven't been able to get my TU report from annualcreditreport.com.  I would always get some sort of error message, but it would not say anything to indicate what the problem was.  I wonder now if it is because they couldn't match the birthdate I entered on the annualcreditreport.com website with what they had in their files.  After my call to the CSR, however, I was able to get my report.

Message 5 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

(This is NOT to take away from the seriousness of the reporting error or your frustration at trying to fix the error.)

*saying this in a light hearted, teasing manner as I hand you your FAVORITE drink* 

Let's cut to the chase, are you older or younger at TU?  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

haha, I'm 4 days younger according to TU.  It also says that I'm 6'2", 185 lbs, charming and dashingly handsome with an IQ of 195.  Those are all errors as well, but I'm not trying to correct them.

Message 7 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

+1  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 9
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@Lel wrote:

haha, I'm 4 days younger according to TU.  It also says that I'm 6'2", 185 lbs, charming and dashingly handsome with an IQ of 195.  Those are all errors as well, but I'm not trying to correct them.

If it makes you feel any better, the year of my birth on one of my CRs was listed as 1932...33 years before I was born!  My parents weren't even born yet!!! 

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.