Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a secured loan with my car as collateral

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get a secured loan with my car as collateral

I hope this is the right area. I searched for other threads like this, but none of them answered my question.

I just relocated and since it took me awhile to get a job I'm behind on bills/rent and need some quick cash to get caught back up. I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 that is fully paid off. It's in fair condition according to kelley blue book and has 145k miles on it. It was suggested to use my car as collateral for a small loan since I have bad credit. Can anyone recommend any places to me that might approve me for a loan? I'm talking in the area of like $2000.

I have 2 accounts with Chase and was going to try there initially but was told that even with collateral, Chase still expects you to have excellent credit. Would other banks give me a loan without having an account with them or would I have to look elsewhere? I also was told that there are finance companies that deal specifically with doing secured and unsecured loans. Does anyone know of any I could contact or any reputable ones online? (I live in Los Angeles if that helps.)

I have the full title to my car and I actually have 2 jobs for income verification.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to get a secured loan with my car as collateral

You say you have a bad credit score, do you have any recent scores to post.  If your credit is that bad as you say, I would try and speak to a loan officer if you have a credit union close to where you live a credit union is much more easy than a regular bank.  Also you could try citifinancial if there is one in your area, they do give out loans for people with low credit scores, but the catch is very high interest rates, but they will take your car as collateral and I know because I have done this. But another catch also they say consumer finance loans are very bad towards your credit score, but since you are in a bind right now, you need to get a loan somewhere.  Good Luck

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have my recent credit report in front of me (it's packed somewhere since I just moved last month) but it was TU-578 EQ-582 but I've sonce gotten some collection notices for medical bills that I thought were settled 3 years ago that I'm trying to fight right now so that may or may not have put a hit on my scores.

In any case, even if it does affect my score some, it honestly doesn;t matter at this point since my situation is so bad. Once I get myself in a better situation to start repairing my credit again, then I'll worry about it.

Thx for suggestions. Would the credit union or citifinancial require me to have an account with them in order to loan to me? Also, not sure if this matters. But since I haven't had the title switched over to this state yet, will that matter? The title is currently an Ohio title and I intended to switch it to california when I went in to register my car and get a Cali DL but haven't done that yet obviously, since money is an issue. The title is in my name and everything, it's just in Ohio. Will they require me to switch the title over first?

Message 3 of 4
tray
Valued Contributor

I know with Citifinancial you do not need an account, with a credit union ? a very small deposit to open up a savings account to help build a relationship to inquire about a loan.  When I went with Citifinancial my scores where in the 600's your scores are in the 500's if I were you I would go to the citifinancial.com website or get a telehone number from that site to speak with someone to even see if you would be considered for a loan with your scores if the credit union is a no-go for you.  For me what I had to do is have Citi as a second lien holder for my car and had to call my insurance company and pay around $40.00 to have it on the car title.  Once the loan is paid the lien is off.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.